Doing timing chain cover gasket, any tips?

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started tearing into it tonight (30K mile 1997 GTS), have all the gaskets already. I know the balancer bolt gets torqued to 250 ft. lbs. I will have to rent a torque wrench for that. I have a new crankshaft seal, I ASSume I can just drive it in with a socket?

I took the cross brace loose, thinking it would provide more room, but can't seem to get it out. Also, does the steering rack need to come off? I wouldn't think so, but Vipers are new to me.

Doing new radiator, hoses, power steering pulley and bracket, brake pads, fuel filter, plugs and wires, and probably another oil change while I'm at it. I got the hoses with the bleeder, hopefully that will make burping easier.

Chuck Tator gave me a couple pointers, like not removing the lines from the oil filter adapter.

Any other tips?

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To remove the brace, remove the bolts and place a jack in the center of the lower cross member and raise the jack slowly. The upper frame will open up and the brace can be removed.

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but does it NEED to be removed?

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You do not have to remove that piece... I am in the middle of doing mine right now. Very easy... I ran into some other problems so it is taking me a bit longer to do. You are going to have to drain the oil and drop the pan... That was the biggest pain in the butt. Just be very careful not to bend or hurt the oil pan gasket because I think its like $200.

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to drop the pan completely, just a little.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to drop the pan completely, just a little.

You will need to remove the oil pan because you'll need to re-seal the seams [w/rtv silcone] from the T/cover & rear crank shaft seal plate at the bottom of the block! You do not have to remove the cross member nor the steering rack to do this job! :cool:

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need to remove the oil pan because you'll need to re-seal the seams [w/rtv silcone] from the T/cover & rear crank shaft seal plate at the bottom of the block! You do not have to remove the cross member nor the steering rack to do this job! :cool:

Thanks Chuck! Didn't you also say something about using a little RTV or thread sealer on the front oil pan bolts?

BTW, this is Sam from Champaign, I spoke to you earlier. I really appreciate your help!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck! Didn't you also say something about using a little RTV or thread sealer on the front oil pan bolts?

Yes, sometimes oil will seep around the threads of the oil pan bolts and it looks like an oil pan gasket leaking [a little RTV = fixed].

Once you loosen the oil pan, you've broken the RTV seal on the seems of the T/C & Ck/S! You will need to remove the pan to re-seal them. :cool:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes the seal going over the crank snout can give trouble. Spare hands and a feeler gauge to work it on is nice or since I usually don't have help, I will put the cover on and then install the seal. That way you are sure not to mess up your new seal.

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't need to remove the cross bar.
Careful with the cam position sensor!
Check the oil pump bolts and water pump while you've got the cover off.
Use plenty of RTV on those 4 corners of the crank case when putting the oil pan back on as the WIZ says.
If you have a pinned crank like me, putting the balancer back on can be an issue. PM me and I'll share a little trick.
Wait to put the new crank seal in AFTER you get the cover back on. You'll screw it up if you put the seal in first!
Use hi temp sealer on both sides of the cover gasket.
crank6.JPG

crank9.JPG

crank8.JPG

crank3.JPG

crank5.JPG

crank7.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started taking the front apart today, hope to finish tonight. I can't get the damn water pump out? Its loose, but doesn't physically fit out of position. I guess I have to pull the balancer first?

Do the water pump bolts need sealer on them? How about the timing chain cover bolts?

This looks like its gonna ****....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to take the pulley loose on the water pump. It comes out together with the pump, but must be able to wobble around.

Did not use sealer on the bolts, but a light film on the gasket, of blue RTV. No leaks on the '01 GTS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4