Don't get tires mounted at NTB - long

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don\'t get tires mounted at NTB - long

Hey guys,

I've had a new set of rear kumhos sitting in the garage and finally decided to get them mounted. Since i dont let anyone drive my viper :) i took the rear wheels off myself and brought them over to NTB (national tire and battery). They were #1 on the tirerack recommended installers list and since they are so close to me i decided to go there. I had previously called a bunch of other places and they did not have equipment to mount 13" wide rims. I cleaned up the lips of the wheels before i left to ensure there were no major imperfections on the areas they will be working.

I brought the wheels in and explained that they are Viper ACR wheels and VERY expensive and VERY hard to get. They were in "near" mint condition with a couple very small rock chips on the face and the lips were flawless. They took them in and even wrote down BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL and they got thier best guy to do them (he was an older guy not some kid). 10 minutes later they call me in to come and look at something. The manager says when we got these wheels it had this chip in them on the outer lip, i looked and said FOCK NO. It was about a 1/4" chip of the finish and it was flaking off more. I proceeding to show the manager the 2 other small rock chips i had and you could see they were filled with dirt as its impossible to clean in a chip while the new scratch was clean metal. He was trying to tell me that there could of been a small nick on the very outer lip and when the tire came off it rubbed it and pulled some of the finish off, what a bunch of SH@T.

After going back and forth as to what could of happened the manager finally said he would send the wheel out to transwheel (reputable finishing company here) to have the wheel refinished at his expense. He says he will do the other wheel and i can take that with me so its not sitting around. 30 minutes later one of the workers comes over and says he talked to the manager and they are sending BOTH wheels out to be refinshed. I asked if they damaged the 2nd wheel and sure enough they did. They then admitted the machine which has rubber mounts must of done it when removing the tire.

SO, even though they are getting both my wheels refinished for free (which is FINE by me cause there were a couple imperfections :) ) it looks like any wheel this size they will have an issue with. So if you want to get your wheels refinished then i suggest on taking it there, otherwise stay away. :)

I'm just glad i didnt take the viper there :)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t get tires mounted at NTB - long

At least they fessed up and are making things right.

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At least they fessed up and are making things right.

I think they had no choice when i told them a new wheel cost $2,000 from the dealer, IF they can find one :) I dont think they will be touching Viper wheels anytime soon.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make sure you call Luke at the tirerack and let him know what happened.

I go to Tirerack, but they are less than 1 hour from me. I have also used Discount Tire 10mins away to swap out my DRs. They were good, but they tried to keep my DRs because the tread was worn out! They had 100 miles on them, I said nice try, they are brand new! :laugh:

Transwheel will do a good job. They have a small setup in chicago, but they will send your Wheel to Indy where their larger machines are!

Good luck! I'm glad to hear they will fix it!

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score

There was a post here by Jon [2002 viper gts acr] recommending a place in Chicago where he had his tires mounted a couple times. Next time, check that out.

***** it happened, but, good they are getting it fixed and hope they do it right.

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make sure you call Luke at the tirerack and let him know what happened.

I go to Tirerack, but they are less than 1 hour from me. I have also used Discount Tire 10mins away to swap out my DRs. They were good, but they tried to keep my DRs because the tread was worn out! They had 100 miles on them, I said nice try, they are brand new! :laugh:

Transwheel will do a good job. They have a small setup in chicago, but they will send your Wheel to Indy where their larger machines are!

Good luck! I'm glad to hear they will fix it!

Thanks casey! I will let tirerack know so maybe they can note something in thier system to warn others.
I actually have a discount tire 5 minutes from me but when i called a few weeks ago they said they couldnt do a 13" wide rim, it was some kid so maybe he didnt know :(

Z06reformed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have a NTB in Lexington and a friend is the manager there.He did my tires with no problem but the real deal is balancing them.The machine wont recognize the rim width so they have to "fool" the computer.He got mine balanced perfectly within a hour.Just who you know and what they know I guess?Good luck with yours.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is when I read threads like this that I am glad I live 10 minutes from Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati of Washington. They have done routine service on two of my cars, and they always handle them with kid gloves. Hope the repair shop does a quality job on the repair. I've been down the wheel repair road and it can be a PITA. Good luck man.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's the dealer or business responsibility to prove before they
do the work that the wheel was damaged, not after.
The problem you'll be faced with is the match between the fronts
and backs. Hopefully to close to notice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960