Door Hinge??????

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unfortunately you have to replace the whole hinge as the stopper is part of the hinge,and it is very common for them to break off after extensive use,the important thing is that you make sure that the piece is gone and does not end up wedging itself between door itself and the hinge as it will tear right through the door ,i have seen this happen more than once

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 Door Hinge Rt or Lt same: #5245109 MSRP $177.00
eek.gif

http://vca1.viperclub.org/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum24&topic=000334

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">It pays to keep that part lubed up. Easy if you remove the small body panel in front of the hinge.

You usually can feel it bind a bit which is a warning that it needs attention.</FONT f>

You must be registered for see images

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,
Just give me a call and I'll get you one.

Tony,
It is covered under the "Added Care Plus" SC.

Ron,
Another way of lubing the hinge: When the hood and the door is open, you can oil the hinge by dropping a couple of drops of oil straight down on to the hinge. As you are doing this, work the door at the same time [open/close].

ViperCrazy,
Before you remove the old hinge: Mark or scribe where the hinge was! You still may have to adjust the door. Patience will help you on this job!!

Ray,
Glue or tape the spacers in place. That's what I do.

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a good thread on replacing the hinge, as I had one replaced on my car, the door never left the car.
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/008307.html

David Jenkins said

"First off, there's only one hinge per side. Take a sharp object and scribe around your old hinge BEFORE removing it to get a general location for the new one. You'll never see the scribe mark after reassembly. Remove the hood opening panel just in front of the door making sure to keep the spacing shims separated so you know which position they go back to. If they stick to the body, take them off so they don't fall off later. Open the door all the way. Take out the two 13mm-1/2 head bolts that secure the hinge to the DOOR. Leave the 2 torqs head bolts in for now. Carefully shut the door completely. Now just barely loosen the 2 torqs head bolts through the access holes in the hinge. Remove the 4 13mm head bolts that hold the hinge to the BODY. Now you can remove the 2 torqs bolts and the hinge is off. Hold the door against the car while the hinge is off. Install new hinge in reverse of disassembly. Line up scribe marks, tighten all fasteners and then spend next hour trying to align door to close properly!! You also have to watch the window glass alignment to the w/strip. Just because you scribed it doesn't mean it will line up first time. You WILL have to adjust it. The easy part is the install, the hard parts the alignment. That's why I charge at least 2 hrs. to replace a hinge. If you have a doubt, have a pro do it. One more thing, apply a little lube, I use graphite engine assy. lube, to the "check" spring and tab. The biggest cause of failure is LACK OF LUBE! (I hate it when that happens!!) Every so often you must lube the hinges by opening door completely, look straight down behind hood opening panel, spray lube down to the hinge "check". I prefer Tri-flow graphite spray lube. Happy ** ** day, dj.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950