Door panel removal

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been reading through the threads addressing this issue and just wanted to make sure about a couple of things. In the front part of the panel, there is something that looks like a clip? I assume this has to be taken out, right? There is a screw behind the door pull cover and there is a square plug behind the door handle that I am guessing has a screw behind it. Am I on the right track here? I do not have to take the door panel off completely, just need to loosen it up to gain access to the bottom part so hopefully I do not have to deal with the two clips up top. Any verification would be greatly appreciated.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory:

-remove screw behind door handle
-remove 3 screws to remove speaker
-remove 3 screws holding door panel to speaker bracket after the speaker is removed
-remove the plastic push clips around the outside of the door pane, (one up front, one under bottom, one in the back?)
-bottom of door panel will be loose, top of door panel is clipped on with 2 or 3 metal clips, push UP on the door panel to release these, they could be very tight.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory:

-remove screw behind door handle
-remove 3 screws to remove speaker
-remove 3 screws holding door panel to speaker bracket after the speaker is removed
-remove the plastic push clips around the outside of the door pane, (one up front, one under bottom, one in the back?)
-bottom of door panel will be loose, top of door panel is clipped on with 2 or 3 metal clips, push UP on the door panel to release these, they could be very tight.
Got it and thank you very much. What is the cleanest way to get the clips out? My clip removal tool does not fit and it seem the potential to mess up the door panel seems pretty high.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used my hands to pull/push/unsnap the clips on my '08 when I had the windows tinted. No tools one door was much harder than the other. The drivers door was hangin up so I moved over to the passenger door to see if it was any easier. Once I got that one off I saw exactly where the clips were and knew where to apply pressure removing the drivers panel.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used my hands to pull/push/unsnap the clips on my '08 when I had the windows tinted. No tools one door was much harder than the other. The drivers door was hangin up so I moved over to the passenger door to see if it was any easier. Once I got that one off I saw exactly where the clips were and knew where to apply pressure removing the drivers panel.
Well, good thing I did not mess up my door panels, it was a close with the plastic clips. There is a trick to them, to push the center pin in and then, they come out easy. I did not see this part mentioned anywhere although I saw someone suggesting to drill them out. Live and learn I guess. Since I already did it a couple of times, I am good with this part.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, those clips, my bad, i thought you were talking about the clips at the top of the door panel, yes the round clips you push in the center and pull out the whole clip, pretty easy.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, those clips, my bad, i thought you were talking about the clips at the top of the door panel, yes the round clips you push in the center and pull out the whole clip, pretty easy.
LOL, it is only pretty easy when you know how to get them out, good thing I somehow figured this out after failed attempt with clip puller. :D

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a square plug behind the door handle that I am guessing has a screw behind it
I don't remember one there. But it's been a while since I had my door panel off. Just be careful not to swing it out too far or you'll break that plastic part at the top. If you want to remove it, lay down on your back, swing the panel out a little and reach up into the door and push on the metal clips with your thumb. first one and then the other. Worked for me without damaging the panel.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember one there. But it's been a while since I had my door panel off. Just be careful not to swing it out too far or you'll break that plastic part at the top. If you want to remove it, lay down on your back, swing the panel out a little and reach up into the door and push on the metal clips with your thumb. first one and then the other. Worked for me without damaging the panel.
The plug is there, at least in my car. Yes, I was nervous lifting up the panel from the bottom, did not have to get the panel off and was watching that top strip. I actually checked out those clips up on top, they seem to hold pretty tight. I am glad I do not have to get the panel completely off. First time, it took me 20 minutes to disassemble the panel, the second time, less than five.