Door Rub

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my car to the dealer yesterday to have the hood hinges replaced and while I was there I mentioned that the door rubs/catches on the weather stripping down near the bottom. They suggested removing the weather stripping and grinding down the fiberglass underneath it allowing the weather sripping to sit lower and provide more clearance. I am sure this might work, but GRIND anything on the body of my car!!! That guy must be high. I thought it was more likely a problem with the door sagging. Is this not true?

Thanks
Mark
:)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with YOU...checK the hinges first...have some help to hold the open door in place, then adjust the hinge yourself.

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ground down the fiberglass for this. Well, my good friend and car guru did and it has not given me a problem since. I had the doors adjusted AND the weather stripping replaced by the dealer before I bought the car and it still caused a problem. Since grinding...no issues. Check the hinges first then consider the grinding...it's not as bad as you might think.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
GTS-ACR, remove small panel in front of the door ("door hinge cover") by removing 3 screws and the 3 small shims. Mark your alignment points now for reference, then adjust via 4 bolts...that's where a sturdy set of extra hands comes in, as the door will sag after you loosen the 2nd or 3rd bolt.

Hopefully, this will work...if not, you might get a second opinion from another Viper tech. As LethalBite says, grinding is an option, but I personally would try adjustment first.

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I adjusted the door hinge on my 97 this weekend, due to sag. It is an easy fix. As Steve-Indy said, mark your hinge location prior to loosening the hinge bolts for a reference point.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys dont grind anything!!!
I had the same weatherstrip do rub issue on my 01

Took it in and my vipertech called DC they said they are aware of the problem.
and offered to send 2 new interior door panels.
they are tapered a bit more and thust no rubbing.

so do not grind your car, just get the correct (new design) interior panels.

best wishes
Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang