Doug Levin Motorsports 1300 HP S/C Viper !!!

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor thanks for all the updates on the car. But you still failed to answer some of my questions. I am not asking you to divuldge any secrets am I

Doug can you please answer me if the block and heads are the same. Of course the heads are modified but I wanted to know if it was stock ported heads you use or is it aftermarket from Mopar or another source. As for the crank i thought the viper already had a steel forged crank in it.

Can you please give us more details. I had a highly modified Grand National and I know what usually has to be done to get a Turbo Motor into the 1000Hp range which is a real feat for a 231cubic inch tiny V6. I switched to the big block of the Viper for the lasting power and for the ability to make easy power that only a big block can make. Please give us more details on my questions

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the new 345/18 g-force drag radial on my S/C Viper, they are GREATand have excellant traction, BUT be very careful in the rain. Pilots are good for this
2548.jpg

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cudaman - yah, those G-force DRs look like the "tread" was traced using an xacto knife :) I have a set of 265/40s coming in for my Mercedes as well, and I'm glad to hear they really work!

Love your sig pic, BTW!

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using them as my 'daily driver' tires.....They hook the street extremely well, but in the rain you had better have a feather touch on the gas pedal especially if you got some serious ponies under the hood or will be all over the road!
P.S. I also run them on my 39

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the car handle alot worse with the drag radials on the street? Can you still take turns without the body roll feeling? How long can we expect a set of drag radials to last on the street?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SMCBUILDERSINC I just have not tried because I don't think they corner well. If someone has a stock or slightly modified car... use them only for dragstrip. My Pilots just don't work well anymore with a lot of horsepower. I would recommend them to someone like Treynor who traction problems. But recognize their limitations RAIN and corners. Lasting long... my Pilots are smoked and bits and pieces of rubber all over the streets....so for me... BFG dragradials outlast Pilots.

Reaction score
Hi Toronto ACR -

It wasn't my intentions leaving you in the dark - I finally got a moment to write :) .

Ben's engine block referred to as our "Pro 4," is a reinforced Gen II stock block and the crank (stock) was modified to absorb the higher stress loads. The heads are revamped from the stock factory castings utilizing our DLM Level III port work & assembly. They flow incredibly well and dissipate heat accordingly and sealed well with over 30+lbs of boost! I've never witnessed 30lbs of boost post throttle body on a Viper 8.0 power plant so you can imagine the excitement of ******* a boost gauge and spinning the tires at over 150 mph. Well, our excitement was short lived when reality set in - Losing traction in almost any gear, guzzling race fuel, the noise of gear lash and slicks & skinnies street cruising was less desirable for a "street car." And of course, deifies our objectives of building fast street cars, not race cars. The decision to retrofit Ben's car back to our original DLM Pro package was not a difficult one, especially with the enhanced modifications will provide to be a more intense power package he previously had.

It's been a pleasure working with Ben and his acceptance of allowing DLM to do our thing.

Next on our agenda:
I originally put our twin turbo project on "hold" status to allow sufficient time to complete SC projects under construction. Please continue your support and patience and look for our upcoming twin turbo project to be a complete success in the very near future.

I appreciate your input and thanks for reading!

Doug :cool:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for giving me a call Doug re: engine idle vacuum (he saw my post in the main section and rather than answer he called...). Your the best! And getting a call from someone who's at his shop on SUNDAY working on car makes 'lil ol' me feel important! Now if I can just find that stupid vacuum leak! arrrgh!

Gerald

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer at least one part of that query, John. We use 103 octane unleaded gasoline in the fuel cell, and 91 octane pump gas in the main tank (for low boost) or 100 octane unleaded gas (for crazy boost).
I'm fortunate that the Unocal 76 three blocks from my house sells 100 octane unleaded straight from the pump for $4.19/gal :) I use it in my S600 a fair bit as well!

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the update Doug. I have heard nothing but good things about your service and right now you are the man. When i had my Grand National and running 30psi of boost I would blow many head gaskets if I did not have the right fuel mixture. I am assuming that you would also have the same problem if you ran lean, which takes me to my next question. Did you have to upgrade the fuel injectors and the fuel pump to get more fuel into the cylinders. Can you also tell me what kind of ECU are you using for this. Also what kind of headgasket are you using. Judging by the size of the supercharger I would also assume that it takes a lot of horsepower to run that sucker. What do you think would make more power. The supercharger or the turbocharger. I bet you are losing about 100 horsepower to run the supercharger

Thanks

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont believe that a motor will increase its power another 1000HP by increasing the boost from 15psi to 30 psi. It is not possible as you have stated in your post with your friends mustang. I think that person is overstating things to you.

I know a guy with a Twin Turbo Mustang. He made like 1000 hp on 15 psi. Then he turned up the boost to 30 psi and made 2000 hp. But then he turned the boost back down to 8 psi and about 600 hp so he could still get some street races. I asked him if he had any dyno sheets. He told me that he did not have any dyno sheets but that all his track numbers and dyno numbers were generated from a computer program he got from Summit racing.

Hey Doug or Treynor - do you guys use the Summit racing HP calculator too? Doug - do you run methanol in your fuel cell? Spin the tires at 150 that must make it the fastest Viper ever built!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony ACR is correct re the Mustang - 1000hp @ 15psi, 2000hp @ 30psi.... :crazy:

Assuming 100% efficiency (realitivity between boost settings), IF it truly made a genuine 1000hp at 15psi, you could expect a maximum of 1520hp at 30psi. That's the mathmatical limit without exceeding 100% - which is unlikely on a SC matched to achieve best efficiency at 15psi.

In other words, the Mustang guy was pulling your ***.... and probably his own :rolleyes: Truth is, it'd make less than the 1520hp in real life - computer simulations are just that.

Ben - AWD :D If you get a chance to look at a GTR Nissan Skyline - go have a good look at the running gear. It'd all fit under a Viper provided you were prepared to cut the car up. Anything is possible - I've seen a 454 Chev in a Triumph Spitfire (small - read tiny - old British sports car)... it comes down to whether the car owner is willing to have their car completely unstock underneath the outer body panels. It'd require custom sump and some serious relocating - but for a good engineer - totally do-able.

It all comes down to the quality of the engineer. Speak to one and they'll say it almost impossible (translated = it's beyond them), speak to another and they'll say - no problem - we can cast/cnc/fabricate what we can't buy.

It could still look totally like it does now from the outside - but lift the hood and there'd be a custom front chassis etc. That Nissan AWD setup is not bad - Reece McGreggor over here is now running 8.63 @ 162mph in his Skyline - which I believe is still road legal, Croydons one is running 8.69 @ 159mph and I know that is definitely road legal still - a friend of mine went for a spin in it.

Money? It would go into six figures by the time it was finished - besides the hardware, customisation and labour - there'd be some parts breaking as your V10 will make a lot more torque than a 1300hp 2.6 litre six running 10,000rpm - this would mean finding what gives then having stronger bits made... by elimination you'd eventually have a bullet proof setup that was unique until you (or your enginner) decided to recoup some of the R & D by onselling AWD kits to others who want to use more than 850rwhp... not a big market - but who knows -- a few years ago no one had 1000hp road cars, now there's several 100 - just looking at the US drag results for street cars alone. :eek: :eek: though unlike yours - the vast majority are trailor queens that run track only or a quick cruise before the 1000lb valve springs go sour or the tank runs dry ;) the useability of yours sets your car into the rarified air of the worlds top group of most powerful true road cars.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can imagine, sort of. A few years ago that H guy from TX brought a customer's 600hp black GTS up to MI for the Spring get together. It idled like a AA/Fueler..and it was LOUD.The engine you'd always dreamed of, but could you?? I'll bet multiplying that impression by 2 isn't enough to describe 1300hp..

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spinning the tires at 150 sounds like fun to me :eek: . Does the stock hood fit with that blower???? You guys are insane. I used to think I had a fast DLM car :p .

Cheers,
Chuck

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spinning tires at 150, that's what the fastest Vipers now trap at, and your spinning the tires doing that!!! HOLY SCHNIKIES!

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I would want tires spinning at 150 :eek: . I'm already scared of my DLM car. I can't imagine how you guys could want more boost?? My wife drives our car and I'm more afraid of it than she is :eek: .

Tom

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I would want tires spinning at 150 :eek: . I'm already scared of my DLM car. I can't imagine how you guys could want more boost?? My wife drives our car and I'm more afraid of it than she is :eek: .

Tom

Tom, maybe you should buy your wife the monster blower package that was on Treynor's car......That could be good for you in more ways than one! That way, she can race the really fast guys at the street races. :D

It's cool your wife likes to drive the car like that. Mine is afraid to get in the car with me!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

of course, it's yellow :)
awesome car!

Heh-heh. That's funny. Yellow strikes again! *grin* Beautiful RT/10.
That kind of HP is frightening. I would not want such power under my foot, not even if it was given to me for free. Too wise for that. *knock on wood* I want to live to enjoy my Viper forever!

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug or Trynor, I am very curious to find out what kind of ECU you are using for this. Could you also tell me what modifications you had to make to the fuel system. I am assuming that you had to go to much bigger injectors and fuel pump for the project. Please get back

Thanks

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I own a DLM car I can comment on the basics that I know of. It has the big Aeromotive fuel system. Bigger fuel lines and injectors. I don't know the exact specifics but I do know the engine can't go lean. It has a backup fuel system. If the 02 sensors sense a lean condition it will tell the ECU to correct it with the additional injectors. Some of the DLM cars have Motec components and some don't. My car does not have Motec components...... I have one of the early Level III cars that dates back about three years now. My complete DLM SC system will be updated very soon with all kinds of goodies :D :D

Cheers,
Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang