Downshifting to 3rd gear is becoming an issue--anyone had this experience?

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a 97 GTS, bought it with 19K miles on it. Recently, it seems that it is finicky when trying to downshift into 3rd gear! By finicky, I mean....sometimes it will and sometimes it won't!! I can upshift to 4th or downshift to 2nd just fine when it won't allow me to downshift to 3rd. It also seems to happen more frequently at higher rpms. It's NEVER a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd, again, the problem occurs when trying to shift down from 4th or higher gear.

I do have a short shifter installed (dont know what kind since it was already in the car when i bought it)

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the problem? I sure hope we're not talking expensive trans work here. :omg:

Help!?I'm trying to figure out what is going on here!?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on your car now? If it's been a while, the CLUTCH FLUID may need changing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just for my information, What is the relationship between engine / tranny mounts and the actual shifting of the transmission?

Are worn mounts (and associated problems like this)a common problem in these cars?

Thanks in advance!!

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for my information, What is the relationship between engine / tranny mounts and the actual shifting of the transmission?

Are worn mounts (and associated problems like this)a common problem in these cars?

Thanks in advance!!

I would say warn out mounts are....

From what I have just gather reading, a lot of people are replacing them and finding rips/tears in their mounts.

I have a set of woodhouse poly-mounts and Big Brake Dave's tranny mount and billet cross-member waiting to be installed when I get my viper back.

You have to remember these cars although low miles, are still getting 10+ years old. 10 year old rubber mounts with over 400rwhp have a short life expectancy IMO.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll have to guess it is physics, like inertia. Counteractive motions. Eliminate engine/tranny movement and you have sharper movements possible elsewhere, like the shifter.

Common enough. High torque, fat rear tires, crazy drivers.

Go poly.

Thanks in advance!!

:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Bent shift fork,,,,trans mount,,,,,,,See "shifted Shifter" post(mine). I replaced a trans as a result of appaerent bent shift fork, and immediately after the switch I noticed the shifter hit the console. Before Charlotte Auto fair, I found the mount bad. AutoZone had the mount in stock (poly) for 17 bucks. Over 382 GM models use the identical mount, a stock one is $4.99 most stores. The performance unit the way to go. Too much torque for the stock rubber one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang