Downsides of black wheels????

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I do realize that this is slightly off topic but, for the viper owners imagine I'm talking about a viper here ;)
My current situation is with my silverado. Later, I will deal with my future Viper. I used to HATE black wheels, even on black cars, but, after seeing quite a few at a car show, I kinda like 'em. I have 20' chrome wheels on ym truck at the moment and I'm aware of the downsides of them. What I am curious about is whether or not there is complaints of black wheels. ( do they "fade" after a while? Are they plated like chrome or solid black through and through? )

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The downside of black wheels is that everyone these days is getting black wheels...its not original anymore!

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah its even catching on here in ALABAMA. Redneck nation down here still thinks the coolest trucks are on super swampers and anyone with chrome wheels is stupid. Whats your opinion on the black wheels with the chrome highlights inside of them?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
personally I would go with black centers with a polished lip on a black viper...any other color i'd go with polished (doesn't matter if its gen 1, 2, or 3)

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
something like these? (even though they are on a truck)
10130100_3797-med.JPG

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) looking at this pic poses an even bigger debate... Im 19 now and own a 93 silverado. I always planned on buying a new truck like the one in this pic but I know that would delay my Viper. Im going to school to be a Wireless Engineer and still trying to decide if a viper by 26 or 27 is a reality or a pipe dream. May just have to settle for this truck :)

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipercrazed , You having a Viper by 26 is not a pipe dream at all. You can easily do this, no doubt.

Sounds to me like you want a viper really bad, so heres a piece of advice: Forget about black powdercoating and sell your 20" wheels for whatever you can get. Scrape up all the extra cash you can get your hands on and come up with $2000. Pick up your local trader/classifieds magazine, newspaper or autotrader , and buy yourself a used car, boat , motorcycle or anything else you can find a deal on. (do your research) Clean it up, put a nice wax job on in and sell it for 500 - 1000 more than you paid for it.

Heres the hard part: especially at your age. Dont take that fresh $500 you just made and buy a subwoofer or anything else stupid with it. Add that to your investment capital , ( the larger the investment, the larger your return ).

If you dont touch your profits , and can be diciplined , you will have your viper by your 21'st B-day. GAURANTEED. Then call me up and we will have some drinks together.

good luck , and how much do you want for your wheels ?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The downside is you can't tell when they're dirty.

How is that a downside??? that would mean that even if you dont clean them every day they look clean.

Because it's subtle. Drive the black wheels around for a tank full and then wash the wheels on one side of the car and compare. The difference will be obvious.

Now...flat-finish, brakedust-colored rims might look clean for a while longer.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get black wheels, you will not like them and others will not like them.

Signed,

Viper "I have black wheels" John.

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow , so we seem to have both sides of the fence represented here. If I did get black wheels then they WILL have the chrome lips around them like the yellow/black viper above. Absolutely beautiful....

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AMong, I think Ill just keep my current wheels as they are. Know i just need to start holding on to all my cash. VIPER HERE I COME.........in 7 years :)
Here is my wheels now.....
10130100_3274-med.JPG

10130100_3275-med.JPG

10130Truck_with_20_s_May_15_05_032-med.jpg

ok guys, keep 'em this way or not?

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a real downside, but something to certainly be aware of... black wheels tend to look smaller in diameter than silver or chrome wheels. Black recedes into the background while bright colors come forewards.

I put black wheels (stock sizes) on my yellow vette. And while it did look awesome, they actually looked smaller than stock. :( If you want to go with black wheels, sizing up is nearly a must (though most poeple go bigger anyhow so maybe it's a non issue).

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need I say more?
You must be registered for see images attach

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only downside - if you are tracking - is that black wheels are harder to find cracks in the spoke - i.e. harder to inspect for safety - on chrome or aluminum rims, the brake dust will highlight a crack - on black wheels - you are outta luck.

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had Autoform powdercoat a set of Sidewinder wheels. They look great! Can't wait to get them on my Copperhead.

dude when your car is done I wanna see that thing in person! :shocked:

No problem. Waitng for my comp coupe hood to be finished before I mount the rims. I'm about 20 minutes south of Fords. See you in March. :)