Drag radial advice

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a set of 17"x13" rims to use for occasional drag racing. My question is, would using a 17" setup with the Kumhos be better or worse than an 18" setup with BFGs? Also, would the Nitto drags fit on a 17" rim? My first guess would be no since they are only 315s, but you never know. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Frank

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumho's are good and can be used for road coursing too. With the Kumho's you can drive to the track no tire swapping required.

Something I would seriously consider is Mickey Thompsons new drag radial, they will fit on the 17's and they can be driven to the track too. They will out perform all other 17's.

Cudaman :usa:

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The BFG's are much better for drag racing than the Kumhos. Lots of people like the Kumhos better for the street because they corner really well, and the BFG's with their squishy sidewalls don't, but I don't think you'll hear anyone claim the Kumhos are a better drag tire than the BFG's.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cudaman,

The MT Drags....will they fit on a 13" wheel or do I need to go a tad smaller? Also, I've heard they are coming out with an 18" drag radial soon.....do you have any heads up on this? Thanks for the response.

Frank :usa:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17's are better than 18's for drag racing and BFG's are better than Kumho's for drag racing.

So if you had to choose between the 2 I would go with BFG's and 18's.......I guess.

John

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the BFGs are the way to go now. I highly doubt I'll be able to come anywhere near Dr. Roof's ET, but I'd be happy with mid 11's on a N/A vehicle. :)