Drag wheel / tire choices

Reaction score
There seem to be two major options for dragstrip duty:
(1) 17" or 18" rears with drag radials (BFG or Nitto)
(2) 17" rears with M/T cheater slicks, front skinnys

Can anyone comment on the relative effectiveness of the two? Obviously (1) is a bit cheaper, and you can continue to use the stock front wheels...

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

Drag radials will do a decent job if broken in correctly but they are no match for e.t. streets and skinnies.

The e.t. streets need a 16" rim, and Purners is the only game in town.

I average .5 second difference between pilots and e.t. streets and its all in the 60' time. The first 60' of a drag race is where the final elapsed time is made.

Something to consider. As you increase power without increasing traction you could actually notice little to no gain in e.t. You have to be able to get the power to the pavement. You will notice though that trap speed will increase with increased power
(with proper driving technique)no matter what tires you use.

Heck, you've gone this far, give John Purner a call. If he is gonig to be out of stock for a while call me and I will send you my set to use. SNAKE EYES YOU LOOSE gave em the seal of approval!

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gurus of power have spoken -- Slicks & Skinnies it is!

Now, if I could just find an SFI-approved harmonic balancer...

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my car's case, I'm installing an SFI-approved AL flywheel from Hennessey, and we're putting a scatter blanket around the entire clutch assembly.
I've found one SFI-approved crank balancer so far, but it's expensive ($1,000). I'm probably going to try to get away with my stock balancer, but if the track techs insist I'll shell out the money for the aftermarket unit.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and how about SFI approved flywheel shield? That is what also will be needed soooon.
Let me know if you find a approved harmonic balancer.

Still winter in Sweden...

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Just an update -- the 2001 will NOT fit a rear 16" rim in stock configuration. The head of the banjo bolt holding the brake line to the caliper is too tall, and hits the inside of the wheel. We're working on a solution to this problem -- stay tuned.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Argh -- per Mumford's post, the 16" wheels don't fit even after you shave the brake line banjo bolt down to a nub. If I *have* to go with 17" wheels, what's the best tire choice for drag racing? How about road racing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness