Dragstrip results: SRT/10 w/Paxton, heads, 3.55s, DRs, etc.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Treynor,

I've got some suggestions. First, I have a set of Nitto Drag radials that are 28.7 inches tall. You will need 18 x 11 inch rims to run these. I chose the SSR comps from Tire Rack. The big Nittos have about 60 miles on them and no burn outs. They'll help your overall gearing with the 3.55's and actually equate to about 3.37's. You can try them before you spend the bucks on the 3.33's and see if you like them. Email me if interested and I'll give you a good price. I'm in So Cal too.

I just had a similar experience and have decided to have a Quaife installed with 3.07s. I couldn't get enough traction with the 3.55's no matter what I did, but I have a little bit more power at the rears than you do.

Slicks and skinnies are a good solution, but you'd better change the diff first or you'll lose that hydrolock. I have, twice. The ET streets seem to work well with the Viper guys I know who drag their cars. You'll need an ebrake relo kit and 18 inch wheels to run them on you SRT-10 and if memory serves, you'll need 13 inch calipers front and rear too.

Those are good number considering your set up.

Good luck,

Dan

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried lots of combinations, and the 18" BFG's are the next best thing to slicks and skinnies. MUCH better than Nitto's. Slicks and skinnies are not really an option on the SRT. It can be done, as proven by John Hennesssey, but it takes a LOT of modification, including changing the hubs and rear brakes to Gen2 stuff. I'm not giving up my SRT brakes to go down the drag strip a couple of times per year. Nobody makes an 18" slick at all.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would agree that the BFG's offer more traction than the Nittos, slightly more. Unless you have a Qauife, you'll break your diff with the BFG's and a Paxton. I broke my diff with Nittos and a Paxton.

The BFG's make lousy street tires. The Nittos make good street tires, but are a compromise at the drags. Take your pick or get both, one for street "play" and one just for the drags.

Dan

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update - I've switched to 3.43 rear gears and added a shift light. All that now remains is making it out to the dragstrip and doing some passes. I should be able to do so in the next few weeks...

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
3.43 not much of a change from 3.55. Will be interesting to see your changes, if any.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The change is small, but it will let me clear the traps at the top of 4th gear. I expect the MPH to go up a few (134-135), ET will still be a function of launch technique.