Driving in the rain with K&N filters

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After installing the K&N air intake, I have not driven the rain.
But it's just a matter of time until I get caught in a downpour.
It's bad enough that the hood vents will allow rain in, but the thought of the rain being scooped up and dropped on the two filters
is just not acceptable. The pre-filter and filter condoms may work, but I wanted a quick solution that could be done with a quick stop, hopefully under an overpass. It prevents a lot of air flow when installed, but should be OK until I can get home, or to shelter.
I call it the Viper Noodle - Patent Pending - LOL
BillyC
You must be registered for see images attach

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prefilters are tight. Not very easy to install on the side of the road IIRC.

Rain was never a concern for me. Keep the vehicle out of the river and you should be fine IMO.

OP
OP
T

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prefilters are tight. Not very easy to install on the side of the road IIRC.

Rain was never a concern for me. Keep the vehicle out of the river and you should be fine IMO.

I guess Minnesota weather is more predictable than Texas. Especially living on an island like Galveston.
Rain clouds can form just offshore and move over the Island and dump rain quickly, with very little warning.
Anywho, this is insurance in case it happens to me.
BillyC

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving in a downpour last summer and rain soaked my K&N. the Paxton filter is a flat rectangle filter that fits over the inlet box so rain has nowhere to go but hit the filter. I was stuck on the side of the highway for about 30 min while the filter dried out.

Lobotomy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is getting caught in the rain a bad thing with these filters? I have been caught 3 or 4 times in very heavy downpours and didn't pull over...just kept on trucking. Granted, I am not dipping into the throttle any for fear of doing my best ski jet imitation but I have never experienced any driving related issues under a couple very, very, very heavy downpours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave