Driving your car without the side sills

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I seem to remember a post (I can't find it) that indicated you should not drive your Viper without the side sills and insulation because the heat will damage the body parts that normally sit above the sills.

I am going to be putting on some new cats and was wondering if I could drive the car the 10mn or so to the exhaust shop or whether that would be too much. If it makes a difference it has been really cold here in NJ.

Thanks,

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has been side sill-less for 3 weeks now waiting on them to get painted :curse: I've only driven it once in that time (maybe 40 miles total), but I didnt notice any heat problems. I remember a guy saying he drove around in his Viper without his sidesills while he had exhaust work done and he didnt mention any negative side effects. For 10 mins, I think you'd be fine.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'll be doing the exact thing in a few weeks when i go to the muffler shop for work..dont sweat it, its gotta be better for heat as there isnt anything above them then.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove mine for 4 days while one of the sills was being painted. No problems.

I would think that the exhaust would remain even cooler with the sill missing because of all the airflow.

Big E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove mine for 4 days while one of the sills was being painted. No problems.

I would think that the exhaust would remain even cooler with the sill missing because of all the airflow.

Very true. Cool weather + airflow should be no problem. Just don't set there and let it idle for long periods. I'm cat-less so there is even less to worry about.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine aprox 80 miles in the hot summer with no side sills to a muffler shop to get the exhaust welded together when I coverted to side exhaust and had no problems at all, I though it actually ran cooler.

FLX109

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a contrarian, I'd only suggest that the plastic door is right above the cat and heat soak after the run is when max temp on the door would be reached. Perhaps no issue, but something to be aware of.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems there would be more air circulation on exhaust without them. Not contained. I'd do it.