Dropping the exhaust.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend with a Camaro that simply unbolts his exhaust behind the manifold for drag racing. He has built himself little clips that hold the pipes in place but the exhaust is free flowing into the air under the car just for the strip. He says he gains 50hp and didn't have to invest in different exhaust system. After the drags he just gets under the car and bolts them back on.

Has anyone tried to do this with a Viper? If you don't need the sound/power for everyday driving, wouldn't this be a good option?

jeremypittman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not feel real comfortable doing that with a manifold car. First you have to consider the distance from the outside air to the head and exhaust valves. When you are going down the strip wide *ss open the hot air is flowing with no problem. When you let off the gas the vacum caused by the manifold can pull the colder air in and warp a valve.
Also you do need some back presure to help out on your torque..

I may be way off thinking this way but just my .02... :)

Hope it helps out...

Jeremy

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want the same thing as your buddy, hack off your mufflers and run a straight pipe. The beauty is that it is hidden behind your sidepipe covers and also will cut down on heat buildup behind there. Costs under $100 and you'll have a free flowing system with added rumble and noise. I am sure you will notice a difference...although your friend's 50 hp gain seems a bit overestimated...I sincerely doubt he gains that much unless it was a real race engine...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang