Drove about 1/2 mile on flat (non-runflat) tire- is it ruined?

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week, noticed a strange sound after a block or two- turns out rear right tire was flat. I was only a couple blocks from a gas station, so I just drove it there (very gently, 25mph) on the tire.

Question is, even if the tire is repairable, is it now ruined from about 1/2 mile @ 25mph while flat? My rears still have a good amount of tread on them and I don't want to have to replace both if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Matt

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your questioning it I'd change it.

and I have a used set if you'd like 4.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good news about runflats is that you can drive on the after you lose pressure.

What the tire manufacturers quote is 100 t0 200 miles, but they fail to make clear is that is ONE TIME DRIVE with zero pressure. The effective range is significantly reduced by elevated temps like Heat Waves , moderate speeds ,load on tire.

It should and must be replaced for your safety.

Sorry

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could keep the tire on the car, but what about the next time you want to do a quick run up to say 120 mph or so, are you going to do that on a repaired tire after you drove 2 blocks with it being flat?? I wouldn't take that kind of a chance. I'd get a new one!

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.have it fixed with a old fashion plug it.make sure you put back on the front .
2.duck tape the ole lady in the front seat
3.take her to the interstate chicken wire the trottle open .
4.if she makes back to the tittie bar where you will be waiting with a young red on head .and the tire is still good .then send her to the cash station for the money u just saved for the lapped dances you owe.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be concerned about hidden damage to the plies in the sidewall. If the tire was totally flat, you were certainly putting stresses on the sidewall that it doesn't normally get. I drove one of mine with minimal pressure due to a puncture long enough (2-4 miles?) to put a wear mark on the sidewall. Luckily I had bought the replacement insurance at Discount Tire, so that took care of replacing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte