Durango Mods

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife's vehicle is a Durango. Anyone played around with inexpensive mods to up the performance of a Durango a bit? It's a little disappointing after driving the Viper and then getting into the truck!

In fact, the reason I ask is that I was practising Drag launches with my wife in the passenger seat and she said "Is there something you can buy to make the truck fly too?!"

Reaction score
Dan is on the money. I have Edelbrock headers and K&N filters on my 1998 5.9 Limited GC Jeep. Runs great! Have driven between LA and the Bay Area several times and it surprises the big sedans as they get smoked. It has a fuel shut off about @116. Also added Edelbrock shocks for better handling.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did HMS ever actually produce the Viper powered Durango? Along this line of thought, (and perhaps using some of the same parts...) has anybody done a Viper powered Dakota?

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, first off, as was mentioned, go visit http://www.durangoclub.com.

I have a 2K SLT+, 4WD, 3.92 Rear, etc. Your first mod should be the airbox, its really restrictive on the D. Instead of just plain K&Ns, I went with the Stage 3 intake from Intense Performance, http://www.intenseperformance.com, great product.

Then do the exhaust. So far, I've just gone with a Flowmaster
high-flow muffler. Its single-in, dual-out so I have 2 nice big shiny stainless tips out the back of my D, with a nice loud rumble to know its running
You must be registered for see images
Mesa makes a great set of headers for the D, I think they guarantee ~21 HP. Also, as stated earlier, upgrade to the Mopar performance computer - but do that last, after mods like intake/exhaust. A Bigger TB is also on the list.

If you want to get extreme beyond that, install a supercharger, plenty of advice on the club board on how to do that and what parts you need to change out.

For ride quality, go with Edelbrock IAS shocks. I'm about to put a set on mine along with Hotchkis swaybars (when they get the new bushing for the 2K). I also have 1.5" lift, alloys, 32x11.5 BFG, smittybuilt step/push bars and a power sunroof! I'm mounting PIIA fog lamps on the push bars in another week or so as well.

Can you tell I like to go to Tahoe in the winter time a lot?

Regards,

- Mark

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235