Dyno Results: 1996 GTS with rebuilt motor

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my car to South Florida Performance for 3 dyno pulls. The motor has 2,000 miles on it since it's recent rebuild from Dodge. All runs were done in 4th gear. It was interesting to see that each successive run made about 4 more HP than the previous one. Maybe I should have done a couple more runs?

Mods are K&N Drop-In's, smooth tubes, edelbrock headers and borla cat-back exhaust....

STD Max Horsepower: 464.3
STD Max Torque: 513.9

SAE Max Horsepower:452.6
SAE Max Torque: 500.9amisci.org" TARGET=_blank>http://viper.miamisci.org</A>

Brooks

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks.... no complaints here.... not sure what I'm going to do next... computer? roller rockers? remove cats?....

I see that you have the same headers... aren't they coated or something? I notice they cool off VERY quickly after shutting down the car....

Brooks

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fikse GTS,
Nice numbers. You picked up 30 hp and 47ft-lb over my 97 GTS with the headers and catback. I believe Edelbrock sells both ceramic coated and uncoated headers for the Viper.
How much welding was involved? I was thinking of getting a set but my welding skills are marginal at best. Can you reinstall the original exaust or does it need to be cut to be used with the Edelbrock units?

thanks

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fikse GTS,
I was just looking at your dyno run and it seems your torque has a great peak but is pretty low between 2.5 and 3.5k. (see graphs below).
Does anyone know if this a consequence of the headers/exaust or just that your motor is not quite broken in yet?

Your run:
You must be registered for see images

My 97 GTS (tubes, K&N, 13k miles)

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Jeff...

the headers and exhaust were on the car when I bought it... so I'm not sure what it took to install them.... it looks like they bolt right on.... without welding...

it took me a minute.... looking at my graph and yours.... and I think I did the same thing you did at first....

not noticing that the HP and Torque ranges are different on my graph...

the left, HP goes from 150-500... on the right, torque is from 300 to 525..

so from 2.5 to 3.5 rpm's... my torque goes from 430 to 490+... not 350 to 450....

Brooks

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mistake. I didn't notice that. I thought our curves looked too different. Makes more sense to spread the range out like your dyno did, Did you get your rebuild done under warrenty?

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, the car had about 3 months left on the original factory warranty when this happened....

at 7k miles, the car was burning 1 quart of oil per tank of gas.... it was also making a very nice smokescreen between shifts under WOT... further inspection showed that severe blowby was occuring on 3 pistons...

if you put your hands by my tailpipes.... you would have black soot all over them..

Dodge sent the motor out for a rebuild with no hesitation, and I had the car back in 12 weeks....

after hearing about what it "would have" cost me, I bought an additional 4 years...
cheap motor insurance....

Brooks

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, the car had about 3 months left on the original factory warranty when this happened....

at 7k miles, the car was burning 1 quart of oil per tank of gas.... it was also making a very nice smokescreen between shifts under WOT... further inspection showed that severe blowby was occuring on 3 pistons...

if you put your hands by my tailpipes.... you would have black soot all over them..

Dodge sent the motor out for a rebuild with no hesitation, and I had the car back in 12 weeks....

after hearing about what it "would have" cost me, I bought an additional 4 years...
cheap motor insurance....

Brooks

david sklover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome numbers!
that is Insane torque.
just an observation, but every dyno sheet I've ever seen has had the hp and tq curves cross at 5250.

David

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks -

GREAT numbers from your car! I am very encouraged by the results, as my motor should be getting wrapped up at Arrow any day (I hope). Have you had any troubles with it since then, or has it done fine? I am assuming they rebuild them very well, and am certainly curious as to what I can expect. Again - congrats!

David - check out my dyno sheet from September before my motor was sent back. You will find that the horsepower and torque cross at about 4700 - not 5250! Perhaps that is another change that is evidenced in the 2000/2001 motors. I wonder what that means as far as driving on the track, dragstrip, etc.? I feel another post coming up at some point...

Chris

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks David....

actually... since the torque is a calculation based on HP and RPM's.... all torque curves will intersect at 5,250 rpm....

the reason my doesn't... and chris' doesn't is because our graphs have different ranges with respect to HP and Torque....

if the range for HP and Torque, on the left and right were the same.... they would intersect at 5,250

the dyno software is sometimes set to change the ranges to offer better resolution of the curves...

Chirs: I have had ZERO problems since driving my car home from the dealer...

your car made 436 HP totally totally stock?? now that is awseome!

I bet you can't wait to get your car back.... keep me posted...

Brooks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R