DYNOED MY 99 C-5 VETTE TODAY...............

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well in an effort to expand our viper business we have decided to enter the Corvette aftermarket, and will be offering the same philosophy of bolt on's for the corvette enthusiast.

In order to provide accurate, truthfull, and respectable performance products we have bought our own C-5 vette and will be installing and testing all of the products that we will market. Here is how our corvette performed in BONE STOCK condition.

It is a 99 Coupe LS1 with Automatic transmission and 2.73 Gears!(the worst case scenerio)
Dragstrip performance.......13.64 @ 103.8 MPH(best of ten runs on 2 different nights)

Dyno Performance............299.2 Hp @ 313.3 FT/LBS torque (dynojet chassis dyno, corrected, 3rd gear pull)

I am installing headers tonight and hope to return to the dyno within the next week. I am looking for 25-33 hp from the headers alone! This is 300% higher HP claim than any other manufacturer of C-5 Headers.

I have dyno sheets on hardrive if anyone wishes them emailed let me know. I also have digital pics of our headers.

thanks for reading,

tom welch

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Just curious Tom, what does it cost to run a car on a dyno?

Thanks</FONT f>

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Sacramento, CA it ran me 75$ for a number of runs (did 3, could have done more). They will re dyno for 50$ to check output of any mods you do.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Just curious Tom, what does it cost to run a car on a dyno?

Thanks</FONT f>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ron,
Most shops get between 60-75 bucks for 3 pulls. I go to a shop in Lakeland FL (dynamo motorsports 863-646-3027) where he only charges 40 bucks and doesn't count your pulls. We did 3 pulls on the vette today and kept the best one for future comparisons.

Sidenote: I don't know how a stock LS1 or Z06 can even THINK of competing with a stock viper. Now that i own and drive both cars there is no comparison in power and torque between them, both on the dyno and at the track. On the other hand, the HUD, power memory seats, dual climate control, and hundreds of other gadgets of the vette occupy my time while im traveling slower!

tom

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Would be interested in seeing a pic and some info. on your headers and what you will offer.

Thanks,

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/B][/QUOTE]
Darth,

thanks for your question about gear selection. My car is an Automatic Transmission of which i believe the 3rd gear(not overdrive) is closest to 1-1 ratio. An overdrive pull would surely decrease power not to mention spin the dyno drum faster than its design parameters allow. (this particular dynojet dyno is only capable of runs up to 500 rear wheel horsepower and 155 mph.

I did, make a through the gears pull of which 3rd gear once again netted the best power, first and second were lower in power as they should be.

thanks again for your question and input, may the torque be with you, always!

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Schotz:
Darth, he got an AutoMatic Car... so 3rd is 1:1 ratio, just like fourth in the 6spd.

Tom... Oh no... please tell me, now I have to listen to your ramblings on the Corvette Forum's too??? It just won't end!

And of course it's gonna feel slow... you just purchased the slowest Vette you could buy! However, once you do your exhaust, gears, and converter... you will be in the 11's easy (atleast low 12's!)

My 2000 C5 Hardtop (bone stock) run's consistent 12.8's @ 110, this is at 1300 ft in AZ. Z-06's run low 12's.

PS... can't wait to here what you dyno w/ the Belanger's for C5's (they have been out for a while now)

Hope you enjoy your car...
Dave

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, what Corvette Boards are you on? I hope to see you there soon! ehehehehehe

Yep, this is the slowest possible scenerio for a c-5 as i stated in my first post, but guess what, this combination is the most popular by build and sales volume. My goal: to make equal power to the Z06 for those who don't wish to give up their 2000 and earlier c-5 LS1. Lots of competitors, but folks like my pricing and performance guarantee's of which will continue with our vette packages.

Best of luck, BTW the headers fit and look awsome, as im sure you are aware already, and will be dyno tested next week.

tom

Reaction score
Gee guys until I get my Viper delivered. I will just have to run every body with a 33 F--- Vicky, I'll eat up all the Vets out there. I have dyno'd it but it's a auto trans only has 375hp at rear wheels. That doesn't mean that it wont run quicker than a Vet. auto or stick. Just thought I would start some hate and discontent out there.