ebay bait and switch!

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won an ebay auction for a part for the viper. It looked cool and I heard some good things and not to bad about it. When it showed up it wasn't anything like the part shown in the auction. Looked like a cheap copy. Not the same color or made out of the same material. I notified the seller and they said they were making them different now and if I wanted one like the one shown in his ad, he would give me the used one off his viper instead of a new one as advertised. I told him I wanted a new one like the one he had advertised or my money back with the shipping costs. He hasn't responded yet and it's been since last friday. I put in a dispute with PayPal but still have not heard anything. I have never had to leave bad feedback on ebay but I think this time I'm going to have to. He already left me positive feedback. I'll tell you more about the product and what seller is doing the bait and switch later after I've giving him a week to make it right. I can put in a claim with PayPal I guess. Never had to do this with anyone. I think most people are honest. The thing is this seller still has the same ad on ebay. Has any of you had an experience like this and had to put a claim in on PayPal? What all was involved?
Thanks
Dave

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had to dispute several things on eBay before for most of the common reasons. Their dispute process works pretty well given what it was like when I joined in '00. Save all of the emails etc you've had with this seller, and hey, let us know his seller ID so we can all avoid him! I'd like to know who he is!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tons of ebay experience (aflukianow is my id, so you can check my feedback), just open a paypal dispute and list the dispute as "not as described" and paypal will take care of the rest. As Dave6666 said, keep the e-mail correspondence and paste it into your initial dispute and paypal will see that the picture and what arrived are two different things and that you're not pleased. In 3-5 weeks you'll have your refund and the only drawback is you many have to pay to ship the item back to the seller at your expense.

Regards,
Aaron

P.S. PM me if you have more questions and provide a phone number and I'll answer any questions you have on the phone.

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got an e-mail from him tonight. Said he was going to make it right. Said he was out of town. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding. I'll keep you posted.
Dave

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother-inlaw went ahead and sent a significant deposit on a very clean and detailed orange 71 Challenger listed on ebay w/a buy-it-now, this was a year or 2 ago. The dealer in Texas had good ebay feedback, sold cars via consignment. A couple days after, he happen to spot the identical car listed on Cars-on-line in Florida advertised by another person. The ebay seller told him (after he sent the deposit) that the car shown in the pictures was just like the one he was going to get, he had that Challenger listed on Cars-on-line on consignment at his dealership at one time, and that's when he took the pictures. It took him 7 stressful months to get his deposit back (thousands). Seller claimed he passed on the deposit to the partners who actually owned the car and was having a hard time getting the money back. The seller refused to send pictures of the Challenger he intended to deliver, excuses that the car wasn't at his shop, out of town, etc.. Seller had the nerve to tell him that he was the confused one and couldn't understand what the problem was, it's just like the one in the pictures. :dunno:

This was the dealer -

http://www.classicautoauction.net/

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought three cars through ebay and shocked all my family and co-workers doing so, but I haven't had a problem. The feedback system is getting better, but I always look to see how their most recent feedback was and how recent it is. I've used the dispute console in paypal a few times and I always pay using a credit card, because I can dispute the charge if I don't like the time paypal takes to resolve problems.

Regards,
Aaron

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just about done with ebay and paypal. If you leave negative feedback for a seller for not disclosing something, they return the favor. I recently got my first negative (retaliatory) feedback that way. Ebay won't do anything about it. They told me that I could work with the seller and we could mutually agree to remove our respective negative feedbacks. The ebay feedback system is meaningless because of that. And paypal will only provide a credit if you ship the misrepresented merchandise back to the seller at your expense. How is that fair?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just about done with ebay and paypal. If you leave negative feedback for a seller for not disclosing something, they return the favor. I recently got my first negative (retaliatory) feedback that way. Ebay won't do anything about it. They told me that I could work with the seller and we could mutually agree to remove our respective negative feedbacks. The ebay feedback system is meaningless because of that. And paypal will only provide a credit if you ship the misrepresented merchandise back to the seller at your expense. How is that fair?

There is those risks, as I am an experienced eBayer. However, with common sense, good intelligence etc, you can minimize the events like you are having. You have to balance the fact they have a market that no one else does, but you can get screwed along the way.

Best of luck, and don't let the frustration kill your eBaying. Shop smarter. Sounds like you've had a few motivational experiences to now do that.