Ebay GTS Hood Gap?

OP
OP
P

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I know its hard to tell from the photo. What is the proper way to close the hood, as I understand you don't apply pressure on the lower part?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I know its hard to tell from the photo. What is the proper way to close the hood, as I understand you don't apply pressure on the lower part?

You push down on the hood where the hood frame mounts on the underside. If you push on the lower end of the hood, you risk cracking it. That's because its nothing under the hood in that area to support the force of you pushing down.

In pic #2, it looks like the latch didn't catch completely on the LH side

Rock Morgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that auction is bogus. I've e-mailed him twice asking if he would accept cash in person. To this day still no response. Be careful.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You push down on the hood where the hood frame mounts on the underside. If you push on the lower end of the hood, you risk cracking it. That's because its nothing under the hood in that area to support the force of you pushing down.

In pic #2, it looks like the latch didn't catch completely on the LH side

What Chad said, and afterwards you should always reach over and check that the left and right latches are latched. Not unusual to miss latching one now and then.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Chad said, and afterwards you should always reach over and check that the left and right latches are latched. Not unusual to miss latching one now and then.

Also, when I 1st close the hood, I push down on each corner of the hood (near the windshield) to be sure they are all the way down before pushing on the front to lock it into the latches. Then again, hoods are only $12k. If you break it, no biggie :D

Spdrcrj25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at it myself since it's three hours from me. I thought the same thing about the hood. With a no response trend, I'm now not interested at all. Thank you for the posts.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes my hood is that way (probably not shutting it hard enough) and I will apply pressure at the 1:30 position of my left headlight(looking to the rear of the car) and will hear it latch. It's always that side (passenger) that doesn't latch. Handmade car-they're all slightly different.:dunno:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the options default in e-bay based on the model. You see a lot of Vipers that say ABS, that don't have it. Common and not a big deal.

If the guys says terms are $1,000 at end of sale and balance in 72 hours, I am sure he will take $1,000 at the end of the sale and the balance in cash on inspection within 72 hours. You can always reject the car on inspection if it is not as claimed. He wants $1,000 to ensure he has a serious bidder. He should also be willing to return the $1,000 if the car is not clearly as claimed. He has stated his terms and no response normally means you can accept them or not. His terms are pretty much normal for e-bay. Most sellers want something at the end of the bidding to ensure the seller is legit. Otherwise they may be wasting their time for three days or more as the successful bidder fails to show up. This is why you see cars sold on e-bay and reposted, and reposted and reposted.

There are almost as many Vipers with funky hood gaps as are not. 99% of these can be easily fixed with adjustments. If the seller claims the car has not been wrecked (which he has) and this appears to be true on inspection, I would not worry about it.

This seems like a clean, pretty low mileage 96 B/W that is more than likely going to go for a good price. Looks like someone is going to get a heck of a deal on it.

I think a lot of folks post concerns here and on VA to plant a seed of doubt in the minds of other bidders and eliminate bidding competition. If you are not comfortable buying a car through an internet auction, don't. Any always run a Carfax before you bid.

T

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I have family in Alb. and even though they are Porsche and Vette guys I am sure they would take a look at it for anyone interested. PM me if interested.