Electric door latch defective

HorusRa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to inspect and repair the door latch device on a 2000 GTS GEN2. I now have to open my driver door with the emergency latch all the time!

Is this device repairable or do I need a new assembly (at $900.00)?

Is this a common fault with Vipers ?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
compressed air and wd40

work the silt or dust out of it with the air and then spray a quick shot of wd in there

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to inspect and repair the door latch device on a 2000 GTS GEN2. I now have to open my driver door with the emergency latch all the time!

Is this device repairable or do I need a new assembly (at $900.00)?

Is this a common fault with Vipers ?

Pull back the loom between the door and the body (by the hinge) and inspect for broken wires it is very common.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes. The wires tend to fray and can break inside the harness that goes from the door to the body. Pic below is what it looked like when I fixed one on a '99. Just solder and heat-shrink the broken wire(s) and that's it. Doesn't hurt to put a little lithium grease on that mess of wires before putting it back into the rubber surround...let's the wires slide when the door moves. Easy fix.

Attachments

• door wiring.JPG
    door wiring.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
HorusRa

HorusRa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will try this out and let you know.
Now I got a run to the track for our first day of lapping of the season with VCA, at Mirabel, ICAR. It is pouring rain though ! Will be more like drifting than sticking !

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the outside button work or the inside, while you have the panel off inspect the micro switch at the outside button and inside door handle, i have seen water corrosion on mine and had to replace the micro switch for the release button.

OP
OP
HorusRa

HorusRa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

You were right, wires in the door hinges: 10 out of 18 wires were totally chopped out!!!

The thing is fixed and for very little money. I had the car stereo shop look into it as I was having a new sound system installed !

Thanks a million

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte