Emissions Requirements for CA

Raheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what emissions code is required for registering the Viper in California?

The one that I've bought says: 50 State Emissions, BIN9 Emissions

A friend of mine who had bought his Z06 from Tennessee had a hard time with DMV that required the vehicle to explicitly state "CA State Emissions". The DMV guys just didn't want to accept California as one of the 50 states unless it specifically stated "CA".

Any forum members in California who could look up the emissions codes in their cars and let me know what they read???

Anyone dealt with DMV on this issue? What is their requirement in terms of emissions code?

Thanks for all your help. All of you guys are awesome and extremely helpful!!! :2tu:

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't worry, I went through this a couple months ago with an 03 SRT. Check under the hood to make sure the EPA sticker certifying that it meets CA emissions standards is still there. If it has under 7500 miles it's still considered a new car and will need this. Look here for more info. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/osreg.htm

I did not even have to go to DMV. Sometime your insurance agent can even do the inspection. That's what mine did for me. This should be the least of your worries.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went into the garage and checked the sticker on my '05. Set off the alarm in the process....real loud in an enclosed garage but remembered to turn it off with the key in the underside of the door. But enough. The sticker reads:
"THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO U.S. EPA INTERIM NON-TIER 2 BIN 9 AND STATE OF CALIFORNIA LEV 1 REGULATIONS APPLICABLE TO GASOLINE FUELED 2005 MODEL YEAR NEW PASSENGER CARS"
I bought my EVO out-of-state and tried to get AAA to do the inspections but they don't anymore. Had to take it to a DMV office.

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris:
Vincent is correct. Registering an out-of-state vehicle in California can be a real problem if not an impossibility and the DMV website is formidable; however, if the sticker data meets the requirement there are no further hassles from the DMV. You will need to have a smog inspection already done and the smog approval with you when you go. I too went through this in January and your sticker reads as mine. You should have no problems with the DMV.
Enjoy your Viper!
Lynn

OP
OP
R

Raheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The CA stickers are available from CA dealerships. DMV should be more helpful but their actions speak to that. Should not be an issue for any stock Viper.

Thanks all for your help.

I have asked the dealer to check it under the hood to find out what the sticker reads. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If it doesn't read California Certified, do you think the CA dealers would be open to providing a CA sticker that you can just paste over the old one? Seems kinda iffy...

OP
OP
R

Raheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I found out that it already has California Certification....so I am all good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper