Enclosed trailer rental?? Getting car from Vegas to AB?

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a dilema now. My buddy surprisingly told me he is getting married in Vegas in March. I wasn't planning to go pick up my car till June or so. But if I'm going to be down in Vegas before then I want to get the car while I'm there. I was going to go on uship.com and find someone to haul it up, but most likely I would still have to come all the way down from Edmonton and meet them at the border still. If I'm going to drive that far I might as well drive all the way and get the car myself, instead of paying for flights, shipping, and fuel to the border again.

Problem is I don't have a trailer. I definitely don't have space to store one if I just go out and buy my own right now. Nor do I really have 10k to throw away on a trailer that I will rarely use. Anyone know if you can rent these things?? I see U-haul has lowboy car trailers, just not sure I'd want to trust one of them all the way to Vegas and back. Plus I'd prefer to have an enclosed as the weather will still be pretty sketchy at that time of year.

A friend of mine has a family member with an enclosed that I'm going to inquire about. And another friend of mine owns Canada Custom Vehicles in Red Deer, who also has a trailer and does shipping service sometimes. But I thought I'd ask here just to see what other options I might have. Maybe someone knows a trustworthy shipper who will bring it right across the border??

Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated. I want to get all my ducks in a row well in advance.

Thanks

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Trailers can be rented. I believe you should have some companies in Alberta that do that.

Just make sure it has a long ****** tail, has car strap down points, and that you have a good tow vehicle as the mountains you will be going through from Vegas up will require a truck that can tow 10k lbs plus. Empty enclosed trailer can be as much as 4k lbs for a 24' trailer.

Robert

OP
OP
V

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Trailers can be rented. I believe you should have some companies in Alberta that do that.

Just make sure it has a long ****** tail, has car strap down points, and that you have a good tow vehicle as the mountains you will be going through from Vegas up will require a truck that can tow 10k lbs plus. Empty enclosed trailer can be as much as 4k lbs for a 24' trailer.

Robert

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins won't even break a sweat :D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh very good! That's what I like to hear! :nana: you will love your ebrake through the hills! :yay:

Thanks as well for not saying 2011 ford or chev. :)

OP
OP
V

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh very good! That's what I like to hear! :nana: you will love your ebrake through the hills! :yay:

Thanks as well for not saying 2011 ford or chev. :)

lol. If I ever consider owning a Ford you all have my full permission to beat the living piss out of me.

And ya, the exh. Brake is awesome towing my boat to BC and back. Now I just need a tuner and exhaust so I can keep my speed above 100km/hr on the uphills.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so sure I would ever "lend" someone a trailer of mine especially if they aren't regular trailer users...there are a lot of skills to learn with a loaded car trailer, as well as possible things that can happen on the open road, it takes a lot of skill to NOT run too close to another vehicle and then try to stop quickly....as well as possible damage to your tow vehicles...I didn't even discuss the insurance and liability issues....my $.02

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. If I ever consider owning a Ford you all have my full permission to beat the living piss out of me.

And ya, the exh. Brake is awesome towing my boat to BC and back. Now I just need a tuner and exhaust so I can keep my speed above 100km/hr on the uphills.

Should not need it. The 08 mega weighing 21k ran 120 up the hills. Even my old 89 did that!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so sure I would ever "lend" someone a trailer of mine especially if they aren't regular trailer users...there are a lot of skills to learn with a loaded car trailer, as well as possible things that can happen on the open road, it takes a lot of skill to NOT run too close to another vehicle and then try to stop quickly....as well as possible damage to your tow vehicles...I didn't even discuss the insurance and liability issues....my $.02

And solid advice there too. Be careful if you are not use to towing. You can get into a bad situation very quickly.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 20' enclosed carhauler. It brought my first 2001 GTS from Blufton SC. to Red Deer. It also brought second 2001 GTS from Toronto.(behind motorhome) It brought 2010 ACR from Grande Prairie behind Ram SRT 10. I have load levelers for it. I know you don't need them for weight transfer with your Ram, but I use them to stop the sway. I have also had it to Calgary several times behind '98 Durango hauling Vipers with no issues otther than a little low on power.
You are welcome to use it if you want. Just need to pack wheel bearings and it should be good to go. I have 3" by 12" planks to run Viper on so you can get under to tie it down.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Flaman Sales and Rentals in Nisku have enclosed car haulers that you can rent. Forget the U Haul stuff for the Viper.

Tim

VIPPY2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim;

I purchased my first Viper from Frank Flaman; the Godfather of the Flaman business empire; if he is still in Nisku tell him you are a member of the VCA Western Canada and I recommended that you rent the trailer from him; maybe he will give you a break on the rental amount.

Good luck.

Once you get your baby back to home base send some photos so we can give you a high five.

We are planning a very interesting and worthwhile event schedue for 2012; I am sure we will meet along the Viper trail.

We have a great group of members in Alberta don't hesitate to join in with the local events; keep watching the forums.

All the best,

Jim

OP
OP
V

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim;

I purchased my first Viper from Frank Flaman; the Godfather of the Flaman business empire; if he is still in Nisku tell him you are a member of the VCA Western Canada and I recommended that you rent the trailer from him; maybe he will give you a break on the rental amount.

Good luck.

Once you get your baby back to home base send some photos so we can give you a high five.

We are planning a very interesting and worthwhile event schedue for 2012; I am sure we will meet along the Viper trail.

We have a great group of members in Alberta don't hesitate to join in with the local events; keep watching the forums.

All the best,

Jim

HSSSSSS I'll PM you if I'm going to take you up on the offer. Very appreciated, I'm loving this Viper community already :)

Jim, I definitely plan to get out to as many events as possible this summer. I'd like to get down to Kelowna for a meet, but I always have my boat with me there so I'm not sure how that's going to work?? I'll keep Flaman in mind. I just got a quote from a shipper to come right up to Edmonton and it seemed reasonable. Just going to work the details and see what's a better choice.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I definitely plan to get out to as many events as possible this summer. I'd like to get down to Kelowna for a meet, but I always have my boat with me there so I'm not sure how that's going to work?? I'll keep Flaman in mind. I just got a quote from a shipper to come right up to Edmonton and it seemed reasonable. Just going to work the details and see what's a better choice.

If you like to travel and have the time it is nice to pick it up in person. We have family in Iowa and have been there 3 times with the excuse of picking up cars.:) Graceland twice and Grand Ole Opry once.:headbang:

OP
OP
V

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like to travel and have the time it is nice to pick it up in person. We have family in Iowa and have been there 3 times with the excuse of picking up cars.:) Graceland twice and Grand Ole Opry once.:headbang:

Well I'm actually going to Vegas for a buddies wedding, so I'll be picking the car up in person either way. Then I'll either hand it off to a shipper, or take it back myself.

I just crunched the numbers last night. I'll save 1500$ by picking up myself(assuming I didn't have to pay for a trailer, not sure what kind of barter you had in mind?). If I have to pay much for a trailer rental, it will surpass the convenience worth of giving it to a shipper.

VIPRRR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Wheels Trailer Sales and Rentals in Medicine Hat charged me 500.00 for one week when I drove from Medicine Hat to Kitimat to pick up my 63 Corvette. It was an enclosed 20 foot car hauler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth