Enclosed trailer weights

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does a quality enclosed trailer weigh for a single car? I'm looking at SUV's and want to make sure it will pull the Viper in an enclosed trailer, just in case. I'm guessing they could weigh as much as the car or more.

Thanks,

Chad

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you would be looking at around 8k combined, depending on constuction, I have an aluminum 24 footer & its placard on the side reads 8700 cvw. But I have not weighed it. My 18 foot steel trailer (open weighed 2200 lbs) If you are looking at an SUV make sure you can get it in a 2500 version, example Avalanche,tahoe,suburban,excursions ect. The problem with enclosed is not only the weight( and all your other weight for spares tools ect) is the aero! Case in point, A few years ago I towed back from a race without my car(2800 lbs) the thing towed exactly like it was a full load! even the fuel mialage was the same. That was with my gen 1 ford lightning , which would really haul the mail. The difference betwen that truck & my ne 250 is unreal. Not in acceleration, but braking, handling & saftey ther is no comparison. I think one of the big factors is the LT tires load ratings.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that a Featherlite 24' enclosed trailer will weight about 3000 pounds. Figure 3500 for the car. then about 1000 for all the extra crap that you will end up carrying "because you have the room"

2 rules for trailers:

1. you can never have too much tow vehicle - get the highest tow rating you can live with in a daily driver SUV

2. EVERYTHING weighs more than you think.... (thus the reason for #1.)

We have a great contact at the largest Featherlite dealer on the east coast. They can hook you up and are familiar with working on Viper trailers and can set up anything that you want! www.goldengait.com and ask for Squire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc