End all, be all, Stereo upgrade thread

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, finally at the point of seriously considering a Stereo upgrade in my 06' Viper Coupe. A few years ago I added the 08' Nav deck unit, Sirius Satelitte service and iPOD adaptor successfully, now it is definitely time to upgrade the rest. Long drive to VOI11 and it is even longer with the factory stereo "trying" it's best.

Now I know there are a bunch of stereo threads but most involve mods from stock look, etc. My criteria is:

1. Completely stock looking from sitting in the interior or opening the hatch. Stock speaker locations and grills are a must. No big woofer in the rear Hatch area. Might consider woofer design behind the seats if completely hidden from view and not hurting seat travel too much. Only bolt on equipment and gear is acceptable in case I want to return to stock somewhere down the road.

2. Highest quality sound with perfect sound replication. It doesn't have to be the loudest, doesn't have to pump the lowest. I am looking for the highest quality sound system that does not sound muffled, nor hollow nor high pitched and weak. Limitations are, of course, the factory Nav deck.

3. I typically listen to Classic Rock, Soft Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and Country, if that makes any difference.

4. Not too, too worried on the cost aspect as willing to pay for the cleanest sounding system within these limitations. Not adverse to adding some Dynamat, etc. behind panels, etc. if it clearly helps.

5. I am looking for the cleanest sound with the factory nav unit, Sirius and iPOD Adaptor in place, in case I wasn't making sense.

Anyone have an idea on what components and parts numbers I should be looking at? Arrangement? I was thinking just speakers and amp upgrades, but am curious what people are doing to keep a pure stock look on the inside.

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found your thread ****** and not at all what I am looking for. I am looking for pure stock appearance but much upgraded and improved sound quality. Sorry!

Anyone else able to help!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like a good sound system , but rather leave the factory system alone in my car.The car produces a sound that's music to my ear
and the radio is turned off most the time. However , I'm going to replace the factory speakers [ made in Japan with the chrysler logo :rolaugh:] with Alpine ones. There're are some quality speakers you can find on line with frequency response as low as 50-55. Most factory speakers have lousy low frequency specs.The depth of the speaker hole in the doors from the recess is 3",so you must make sure the replacement speaker's magnet don't touch the door skin.

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can do a couple things. First thing would be to add a processor that cleans up the factory headunit's outputs. You will definitely be limited to how clean a sound you have because youa re starting with the factory unit, but this unit will help clean up the sound before sending it to new amps.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I'd suggest new amps and speakers. You probably can hide all that so that the system looks factory.

I'm curious to see what you end up doing.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys and thank you usurbrain;

I was thinking about starting with a Factory System Expansion Controller, like the Kenwood Excelon KOS V-1000 or something. I know way overkill, but it also has the Bluetooth Hook ups and I fear the non-cell phone while driving law coming to Colorado. Same signal clean up as you suggested.

I will let you guys know what I come up with. Might take me a while to put together. I will check out Alpine as well. I have always been more of a Kenwood guy but am open.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with you on this tread. I want the dash to remain unchanged but I would also like to look at replacements for the stock radio/nav system. I do not mean to hijack your tread but have had it with the small navigation screen and lousy sound system. I drove to San Francisco today using the stock system and the images are so small that it is a joke. I have been convinced to keep my 08 ACR and (forgive me Chuck) therefore I am looking at the upgrade. No '10 wide stripes for me!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the purpose, behind wanting to keep the stock head unit?? is it just to maintain a stock appearance?? im sure there is dash kits out there, that stay very close to a stock looking appearance. personally, thats the route i would go, as opposed to spending twice as much, on a component to clean up the sound from the stock head unit. and if NAV is something that interests you, this would give you the option to go with a head unit that will provide you with proper navigation, like Garmin.

for subwoofer, i would look for a shallow mount sub. boston acoustic makes a nice one. and have a custom box made for behind or under the seats. but judging by your music selection, youre not near as concerned about bass as i would be. so im sure you couldget away with less.

ill be watching this, to see what you come up with for replacement speakers.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the purpose, behind wanting to keep the stock head unit?? is it just to maintain a stock appearance?? im sure there is dash kits out there, that stay very close to a stock looking appearance. personally, thats the route i would go, as opposed to spending twice as much, on a component to clean up the sound from the stock head unit. and if NAV is something that interests you, this would give you the option to go with a head unit that will provide you with proper navigation, like Garmin.

for subwoofer, i would look for a shallow mount sub. boston acoustic makes a nice one. and have a custom box made for behind or under the seats. but judging by your music selection, youre not near as concerned about bass as i would be. so im sure you couldget away with less.

ill be watching this, to see what you come up with for replacement speakers.

Ditto, I would change the head unit instead of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You will never be satisfied IMO based on what your stated objectives are. I use a single DIN Kenwood pop out DVD unit in my coupe. Comes with a cover plate that makes the install pretty nice looking.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn... I like this one... I wasn't going to do any stereo stuff to my "new to me" car.

Kenwood - DNX9960

I like that it has a built in Garmin navi software.

you cant go wrong with kenwood. they easily have the best head units on the market right now. and the garmin NAV cant be beat. but as far as i know, you cant fit a 2 din head unit in the viper, without a bunch of modification, and cutting behind the dash. plus youll have to fabricate a dash piece. the easiest route, is going with a single din, with a fold out screen. check out this one.

Kenwood - KVT-696

and for a cheaper option, that is still great. here is a clarion unit. it comes with the GPS built in, so you dont have to buiy it seperately.

Clarion NZ409 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Last edited:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to tackle roughly the same project later this summer.

I've already got a JL Cleansweep for the RB1 unit, and some JL Audio ZR650 2-Way Components from a previous project. I've got a nice JL amp too, but it's probably going to be overkill since I think I'm just going to delete the sub. It seems to me you would never really get any thump out of the subwoofer, yet still achieve proper balance with it right beside your ear.

Good luck with your project!

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with the foldouts is that they either interfere with the ducts above or the controlls below.I'll probably keep the RB1 and just swap out the stock speakers.One of my thoughts is to loose the factory 6.5" sub,seal the hole,and add an 8" sub in the lower opening.I hav'nt taken it apart yet though to see how much room/depth there is.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want a pure stock look, but much better sound quality. Foldouts and all that moving around is just another thing to go wrong. Been there withKenwood Excelon kits in my 1/2 tons in the past.

Realize that the stock unit has serious limitations but that is what is dealt for a stock look so that is the limitation. Spoke to a very good friend who just opened up his stereo shop this weekend and he recently did a very nice set-up in an 03 SRT-10 where the center section between the seats where they mounted a sub and mid range assembly in a small fiberglass box arrangement, then mounted it behind the stock interior panels and center speaker panels. 100% factory look. That is more of what I was thinking for that section. I am waiting for him to e-mail me some pictures. He is also putting together a Bill of Materials (BOM), so I hope to understand better what we might be dealing with.

I was just very curious what others were doing before I went to talk with him. I realy like some of the ideas here. Thank you!

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have changed all of the factory speakers in my 08 with Diamond components in the doors and dash and changed rear sub to a JL 6w0. A very nice upgrade. I have the factory nav still in place. If you want to make it real nice you could put in Jl z component door speakers behind the existing grills put in an analyzer. Replace the factory amp under passenger seat. But the sub in the middle you can choose to change to the 6 I put in or have a custom box made and put a 8 in that location.

Joshua

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 08VV;

I appreciate the input. Your system is more what I had in mind, though my stereo guy is recomending the 8" in the middle. Not sure yet, which way I am going to lean.

Thanks

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced the stock speakers with JLs. Small cutting of the door panels, but minor. Look stock. I put 2 JL subs in the trunk. Took me a while to make the boxes and and false floor, but think it looks good in the end.

I recovered my interior in suede and wrapped the speaker covers in perf. suede. You barely know the speakers are there.

Completely happy with the JL stuff. We put JL in all our vehicles.

You must be registered for see images

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plenty of bass and trunk doesn't rattle. You get the slight vibration, but nothing to disturb the sound. Kinda expected. The boxes are super thick. I put about 2 months into them (nights and weekends). Floor is the pressed wood and they fit so tight nothing moves. I have to press in the boxes. Not something I'd like to take in and out on a routine basis.

srdumstorf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, finally at the point of seriously considering a Stereo upgrade in my 06' Viper Coupe. A few years ago I added the 08' Nav deck unit, Sirius Satelitte service and iPOD adaptor successfully, now it is definitely time to upgrade the rest. Long drive to VOI11 and it is even longer with the factory stereo "trying" it's best.

Now I know there are a bunch of stereo threads but most involve mods from stock look, etc. My criteria is:

1. Completely stock looking from sitting in the interior or opening the hatch. Stock speaker locations and grills are a must. No big woofer in the rear Hatch area. Might consider woofer design behind the seats if completely hidden from view and not hurting seat travel too much. Only bolt on equipment and gear is acceptable in case I want to return to stock somewhere down the road.

2. Highest quality sound with perfect sound replication. It doesn't have to be the loudest, doesn't have to pump the lowest. I am looking for the highest quality sound system that does not sound muffled, nor hollow nor high pitched and weak. Limitations are, of course, the factory Nav deck.

3. I typically listen to Classic Rock, Soft Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and Country, if that makes any difference.

4. Not too, too worried on the cost aspect as willing to pay for the cleanest sounding system within these limitations. Not adverse to adding some Dynamat, etc. behind panels, etc. if it clearly helps.

5. I am looking for the cleanest sound with the factory nav unit, Sirius and iPOD Adaptor in place, in case I wasn't making sense.

Anyone have an idea on what components and parts numbers I should be looking at? Arrangement? I was thinking just speakers and amp upgrades, but am curious what people are doing to keep a pure stock look on the inside.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
Replaced factory amp with Polk Audio 660 4-channel amp, fits under the seat, gotta be neat with your wiring though brother, (fact amp is a 8 ch 350W w/ 27 wires & 2 grounds!),Kenwood KFC 6-1/2" component speakers for the door, it's tweeters (silicone) in the dash, use your factory sub, bridge it at the amp.
great, quality, no rap, music man, loud as you can stand it. Adjust the amp before you install the seat, do it right.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a major update to post on this, by this weekend. I pulled the trigger and the system is 75% installed as of this moment. I will have a full run down posted by this weekend of what we did and what I went with. Unfortunately the before and after pictures are identical as EVERYTHING is completely hidden. :) My trip to VOI11 just got a whole lot more enjoyable. BTW I will post some of the 1000 pictures we took of the install. Definitely very, very cool.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car will not be ready until Monday, so should have some feedback by then. I know I still have to get the pictures off his camera, hence with the push to pack before VOI, etc. I might not have a picture update until after VOI11. Sorry!

Black Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Kenwood - KVT-696 & KNA-G610 installed in my ACR. How difficult in the installation? I'm thinking of just paying an audio shop to do if a hardness has to be made.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Kenwood - KVT-696 & KNA-G610 installed in my ACR. How difficult in the installation? I'm thinking of just paying an audio shop to do if a hardness has to be made.

You can buy the install kit which has a harness adapter. Install is pretty straightforward. If you buy from Crutchfield they provide you with step by step instructions (not that you would need them). Most shops would charge about $50 - $75 to install a head unit plus parts. It's really up to you whether you want someone else messing with your car. But if you don't know what you are doing you could do more damage than they probably would. I did my 03 in about 45 minutes taking my time.

I have a Pioneer with Navigation, DVD, bluetooth and I love the sound quality.

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the stock speakers with JLs. Small cutting of the door panels, but minor. Look stock. I put 2 JL subs in the trunk. Took me a while to make the boxes and and false floor, but think it looks good in the end.

I recovered my interior in suede and wrapped the speaker covers in perf. suede. You barely know the speakers are there.

Completely happy with the JL stuff. We put JL in all our vehicles.

That looks great. Who did the suede?