Engine cuts out.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am chasing a problem in my 95. It only does this when it is hot. I will be driving along and the car just shuts off. The only idiot light is the check engine light when I let the engine stop spinning (push in the clutch) no codes. If I wait about 10 seconds it starts back up but will happen again very soon. I have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and it doesn't appear to be loosing pressure when it stalls. I let it idle and it doesn't do it only when driving. Any ideas?

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if the 95's are the same but my 2003 had the same problem and it was the crankshaft position sensor. Mine did it when I reached a certain RPM but same type of symptoms.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had this problem on several 1995 models, it was a problem with the speed sensor (or the wiring going over the transmission). No codes and the engine just cut out. You may have a different problem.

Hope this helps.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I'm surprised that the speed sensor would kill the engine; that means the ECU would also want to know what gear you are in, since the vehicle and engine speed are "related."

Anyway, the thought was to idle the engine and pull the wires of the various sensors (MAP, throttle, speed, crank, cam, etc.) and at least know which ones will kill the engine. No doubt Dan has seen more repairs than me, but there are still some that won't/shouldn't kill the engine and at least you could start to narrow it down.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats why i sold my 95rt and bought a gen2 :confused: The lights burned out, i replaced the reverse light swich 4 times, the harness got smoked, fan problems the
soft top is over priced and a piece of junk. head gaskets dont belong on the car.
i liked it very much but electric problems pushed me over the limit :p
Max

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had some electrical problems such as bad wiring harness going through the drivers side firewall that Chuck Tator fixed. I've also had the battery short out a couple of times, both of which gave me the same symptoms. Don't be afraid to check the battery. Those F$%^&&$@#!^&&%$#&$@@@!!!!!%&*^*ing batteries can cause more problems than you know.....

AC

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan Cragin said:
had this problem on several 1995 models, it was a problem with the speed sensor (or the wiring going over the transmission). No codes and the engine just cut out. You may have a different problem.

Someone else on here had this problem and it turned out to be one of the wires going over the transmission.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We found that the reason the speed sensor caused a "cut out" condition on some Gen 1 cars was because it shared the power feed with the cam and crank sensor, when it intermittently failed, it would interrupt the cam and crank signals to the controller.

OP
OP
B

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan Cragin you are correct! There was a slight chafe on the wire to the speed sensor. Thanks to all who answered your the best. Thanks 99 RT/10 for the offer on the loner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62