ENGINE FIRE!!!!

NorthCaliViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my power steering cap come off again. This time power steering fluid got on the exhaust and started a small fire. I was able to put it out without any damage. How many people have had this problem of the cap coming off and what is the fix?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
use a metal container. i placed a small round metal container in the wheel well. this took car of problem. used steel reiforced lines also.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fix? Take the cap to the auto parts store. Buy two feet of hose that fits over the cap's ******. Get a hose clamp that fits over the hose. Screw cap on. Slip rubber hose on ******. Attach clamp and tighten. Route hose to hole in fenderwell, or anywhere else to under body (away from manifold.)

Not only will it keep your manifold "dry," it will keep the cap from unscrewing, as it would have to twist the rubber hose to do so. Safe, since it retains the vent in the cap.

~34,000 miles with no problems, after lots of AX and some track time. Good luck.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the best things you can do is check it regularly before going out in the Viper. Maintain your car well.

This can be a serious problem.

If you would like some pictures of a case where the owner wasn't able to put out the fire, check this past post out:
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/009645.html

It was determined that either the power steering clamp or hose came loose and the fluid caught fire while the driver and passenger were trapped in the car. They made it out, but the black and white pictures of the flames billowing over the front windshield were taken while the driver was still inside.

Be safe out there.

-Matt

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the things I see when inspecting cars for viper Days is a screw type hose clamp around the ps cap.This set up helps clamp the threads for the cap onto the reservoir and does not come loose.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Screw type hose clamp! Thats a good one, I think I'll do that too.

What about Red Line Power Steering fluid?

Is that less flammable than the stock p.s. fluid?

Thats' what all we So Cal guys use, especially the ones who go to the track.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why Dodge hasn't found a fix for this problem? I've had my power steering cap come off twice. Luckily, I didn't have a fire. It's on very tight now!!!

Chuck B.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 8 years of tracking my Vipers, I've NEVER had the PS cap come loose. I have had 2 HP hose failures though - the last resulted in a small fire that was easily extinguished with no damage to nearby components. I recommend keeping the threads (both male *and* female) clean and dry. Snug the cap down very firmly, but don't crush it. The breather hose is a good idea and it's cheap. Don't track your car with the fluid level at the "High" mark. It will expand a lot with heat from the nearby exhaust manifold and that's where the trouble starts. Inadequate expansion volume leads to the fluid seeking a way out for relief. The radiant heat from the exhaust manifold will cook your hose over time, and lead to brittle failure with pressure spikes.

I like using the stock MoPar PS fluid. I learned 20 years ago that the factory stuff works best in Chrysler systems and I've never been disappointed since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302