Engine Light On, How to...

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My check engine light came on the other day leaving work. I did a search and could not find how to check the codes without a code reader. Also, could someone list the code error numbers. The factory service manual list nothing about codes or how to read. BTW I did turn the key off and on five times to see if that would work, but no good. The car seems to be running ok. Its a '98 with almost 21K miles.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I had a "multiple misfires" code that never went away, until West Coast Viper put a throttle position sensor in it.

Have you ever put new plugs in it?

OP
OP
P

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm working towards replacing the plugs. Autozone only had eight when I was going to replace the plugs. On my list now, will before the engine light was the oil in the tranny and trying to figure out how water is coming in the passenger side after many fixes.

Reaction score
OK...here is a quick how-to (I am pretty sure this works on a 98):

1)Sit in car.

2)Within a 5 second time frame turn the key from OFF to ACC (you know, when you hear the fuel pump kick in)...THREE times. That is OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC and on the third ACC LEAVE it there.

3)The CEL will go out.

4)It will do a series of flashes. It starts with a FLASH-Pause-Flash-Flash (that is 12...get it?)

12 means that is the START of the diagnostic. It ends with 55 (Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-pause-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash)

Count the flashes in between. If, after the 12 you see Flash-Flash-pause-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash, that points to the IAC.

OK....I JUST learned this after owning my 97 GTS for six years! :) I am not sure how far along it works....but the 97 and 98 are so closely related that I am pretty sure it'll work. Once you know the codes, well, I have no idea what to do next. Having said that...if anyone has pointers to the documentation of codes....I'll add it somewhere here on the site (Or, is it already here and I am clueless???). :)

And I sencond Shelby3's comment...I love my Roe Reader. :)

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...here is a quick how-to (I am pretty sure this works on a 98):

1)Sit in car.

2)Within a 5 second time frame turn the key from OFF to ACC (you know, when you hear the fuel pump kick in)...THREE times. That is OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC and on the third ACC LEAVE it there.

3)The CEL will go out.

4)It will do a series of flashes. It starts with a FLASH-Pause-Flash-Flash (that is 12...get it?)

12 means that is the START of the diagnostic. It ends with 55 (Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-pause-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash)

Count the flashes in between. If, after the 12 you see Flash-Flash-pause-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash-Flash, that points to the IAC.

OK....I JUST learned this after owning my 97 GTS for six years! :) I am not sure how far along it works....but the 97 and 98 are so closely related that I am pretty sure it'll work. Once you know the codes, well, I have no idea what to do next. Having said that...if anyone has pointers to the documentation of codes....I'll add it somewhere here on the site (Or, is it already here and I am clueless???). :)

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm

And I sencond Shelby3's comment...I love my Roe Reader. :)

Reaction score
Shelby.....that shows the codes that you or I would see on the reader...but is there a list of the codes, anywhere, for the off-on-off-on-off-on method? :)

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
in the back of factory service manual.
has a listing of blink codes.
not sure if it changes year to year though.
I can look up for 97 if someone has the blink code numbers

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The "MIL" (Malfunction Indicator Light) codes are listed side-by-side with the scan codes in section 25 of the 1997 Service Manual...BUT, the "MIL's" are NOT LISTED in that same section of the 1998 Service Manual where there is a full list of the scan codes. Though I can't be sure, this might make one think that the "MIL" code read per key and flashing light system had been deleted by the 1998 model.

Hopefully, a Viper Tech or another 1998 Viper owner can confirm (or correct) this impression.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your gas cap. Removed and make sure it is tight. It will reset your light if it is the one that causes it. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone has been very helpful! The I found the error codes in the back of my service manual. The key turning did not work. I'm going to AutoZone to have the code read. I replaced my gas cap with the original, but still got the light.

OP
OP
P

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AutoZone read my code (P0442). A small leak in the emissions canister. The code is not listed in my service manual. I think it is the gas cap, I had the cap on for at least 600 miles with no problems. They cleared the code, I'll wait to see if it comes back.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I did not see P0442 i the 1998 Manual, but it is listed in the 1999...pretty much what you said...

" Evap Leak Monitor Medium Leak Detected"...then " A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system".

For long explanation, see "Leak Detection Pump Monitor" explanation in Chapter 25.

By the way, if "check engine light" comes back, read code to see if it is the same or related... if so you might want to consider a new gas cap as a cheap test before you go too far...a loose/bad gas cap can also cause a P0455 (large leak code).

If you get real interested, do a search for "loose gas cap" and see ALL of the various posts and the different findings/solutions.

Good luck.