Engine Light...question???

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove my VIPER to work today (95+ degrees F). On the way home I had the top and windows on because there was a threat of rain, so I was running the A/C. Stopped at the store to buy beer after a 20 minute drive with some spirited driving (nothing near redline or any missed shifts or other weird stuff). When I came out to the car the fan was running (I have the roe fan control kit, never had any problems) as it should be if the car was hot. I started the car, once the water pump started the temp was less than the yellow arc, good oil pressure, good battery, engine running normal, nothing unusual, and I noticed the engine light illuminate. I checked the gauges again and decided to proceed. Halfway through the 2 mile drive from the store the light went out.

ideas?

I'm going downstairs to start again and see if I get the light again. I'll also check the oil level.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The light (hard code) only comes on for an emissions related event. A soft code (no light) can be for any reason. Since the light went right out, that means the problem was corrected at the exact load and rpm. If it happens again buy a cheap scan tool so that you can tell what the code is.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, checked oil, that's good, and light did not come on again when I started the car.

JackB: emissions huh? I just had a smog test done 2 weeks ago without a problem.

do they sell cheap scan tools for OBDI? (note I'm pre '96)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a bunch of scan tools for pre OBD2. Emission codes are typically related to something affecting the a/f such as O2 sensors, it could also be as simple as a loose gas cap.

SSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two lights... engine indicator and the other is the check engine light. The first will energize if there is an issue with the oil psi or cooling ckt.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this was just a red light that was on the lower left of the idiot light center and just said "engine"

if it was related to oil what could that issue be?

I just overhauled the cooling system about 2 months and 1500 miles ago and haven't had any problems. could I have got this light just because the engine was really hot?

will the code still be in the computer if I get a scan tool even though the light is gone?

Thanks for the help guys...

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just did a little search and I can't find a scan tool cheaper than $300, any ideas?

Edit: I read throught the manual that comes with the car and it says the "engine" light comes on in cases of low oil pressure or high engine coolant temps, and I'm confident that the problem was the temp.

I'd still like to find a scan tool though.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The light (hard code) only comes on for an emissions related event. A soft code (no light) can be for any reason. Since the light went right out, that means the problem was corrected at the exact load and rpm. If it happens again buy a cheap scan tool so that you can tell what the code is.

Jack Ben's Viper is a GENI no OBDII!
Ben maybe one of your local repair shops have a OTC scan tool that they could read the code in the PCM?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizard:

He has a Gen1, scan tools are still common for the the Gen1. They are not OBD2 compliant, but, you still can gather quite a bit of data. What are you saying?

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack: I found quite a few <$50 scan tools for chevy ford and imports, but nothing for chrysler vehicles

SSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine new off Ebay... $50 for OBD 1 Works awesome on the gen 1. You have the ability to also verify that all your gauges including tach is accurate. Will also clear the codes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas