Engine pops and bucks above 3000rpm

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 SRT10 Convertible from Ebay, drove it home approx 1000 miles. Car has 8000 miles on it now. The car averaged close to 25mpg driving it home. Always filled it with 91or higher octane. Just spent the day at the local Dodge dealer and they are stumped? Car will not pull past 3000 rpm without coughing and bucking, there is a hint of oil burning smell after these episodes. Fuel pressure tested 60 psi. Computer was updated with the latest software upgrade. Oil and filter changed. Dealer is suggesting camshaft may have slipped a gear, which would be a major repair for me after just buying. Sorry for being long winded, hoping someone can help.
Thanks

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest you post this in the SRT forum. You will get some comments there.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 SRT10 Convertible from Ebay, drove it home approx 1000 miles. Car has 8000 miles on it now. The car averaged close to 25mpg driving it home. Always filled it with 91or higher octane. Just spent the day at the local Dodge dealer and they are stumped? Car will not pull past 3000 rpm without coughing and bucking, there is a hint of oil burning smell after these episodes. Fuel pressure tested 60 psi. Computer was updated with the latest software upgrade. Oil and filter changed. Dealer is suggesting camshaft may have slipped a gear, which would be a major repair for me after just buying. Sorry for being long winded, hoping someone can help.
Thanks

We will assume you have no MIL lamp or codes? Agree with Mark, look for plugged catalysts. Let us know if you do have any codes, that may give a better indication.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you will get comments here as well from the engineers themselves. That's awesome. They must monitor thee section after all. Good stuff

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you check the simple stuff, too - like plugged fuel filter or water in fuel. Sometimes that can cause similar problems that you are describing. Can you rev past 3k with no load? If the engine will spin freely at no load, that narrows down your potential problems to fuel delivery or exhaust restriction.

Good luck - I had something similar happen once where it turned out to be grass in the gas tank. Don't ask how it got in there...

OP
OP
K

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied, even in first gear engine will not pull past 3000 even just trying to nurse it over without the popping and bucking. I have also noticed holding steady at approx 2500 engine seems to surge on and off. Seems to be plenty of fuel at the fuel rods (mechanic was able to fill a litre bottle in a couple of seconds) Put 300 miles on it this weekend on a trip. Engine seems fine under normal driving, ie: under 2500 rpm.
Another curious thing I found this weekend my trip computer would reset to 0 and the radio lost it's preset stations???

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if your missing out could be ignition or not, but my 2004 w/original battery, as it was dying a slow death due to age, would lose it's trip odo and radio presets, yet start {barely}. Might have the battery checked. :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave