RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Of the three lines on the gauge is the middle one 190?? Or are they an
operating range? My car runs between the second and third line and a
needle width above the third line. With the AC on and mid to upper 90's
outside, it's at the third line, to a needle width above the third line. Never
runs below the second line. Just wanted to know if this was normal? The car
has only 3K miles. Would it be a good idea to change the coolant due to age?
I was thinking of lowering the coolant percentage for efficiency also.

Thanks for any help...

Randy

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy I was in the same situation in that I bought an 8 yr. old car with the original antifreeze. If you check real close, you may find the puke tank is empty and the radiator is a bit low. This is what I found on my GTS. Change all of the fluids if they are the originals. Your temps seem about right, but don't get excited if ,on a hot day in slow traffic, the needle goes a bit higher.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems the same as mine. I am always at the third line and with the AC on, ususlly slightly above. My coolant was all changed and is brand new.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worried if I were you. Changing the coolant (use a "longlife" brand) after the system has been thoroughly flushed is a good idea, but you'll likely not notice any difference on the guage. Don't believe for a moment that the calibration on the guage or sending unit is precise...maybe close, but not likely precise unless your very lucky. This isssue is fairly common in most cars. If the temperature stays relatively constant, up and down with the fan kicking on and off in heavy traffic on hot days, you'll most likely be just fine.

OP
OP
R

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the information everyone. I was planing on draining the block and then run water in one plug and out the other into the waste barrel, I have plugs that I can connect hoses to. Thanks again...

Randy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang