Enough with the naysayers

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This :2tu:

Just trolling here, but did anyone really expect the Gen V to dominate the ZR1 the first year right out of the box? That doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation considering the head start Chevy had with the C6/ZR1 platform. A little more R&D will undoubtedly take care any small gaps that exist between the cars....I know it's apples and oranges, but look at the ALMS series as an example for the new Viper. It will take some time.

The Gen V is still an exclusive and rare beast, and you won't have to look for a (silly) plexiglass window in the hood or different vents on the fender to tell it's something special. For those of you who are fortunate to have one coming, congratulations. Can't wait to see one in the flesh.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just trolling here, but did anyone really expect the Gen V to dominate the ZR1 the first year right out of the box? That doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation considering the head start Chevy had with the C6/ZR1 platform. A little more R&D will undoubtedly take care any small gaps that exist between the cars....I know it's apples and oranges, but look at the ALMS series as an example for the new Viper. It will take some time.

The Gen V is still an exclusive and rare beast, and you won't have to look for a (silly) plexiglass window in the hood or different vents on the fender to tell it's something special. For those of you who are fortunate to have one coming, congratulations. Can't wait to see one in the flesh.
No trolling, perhaps you are more grounded in reality than most :)

The ZR1 is a mature platform that has a massive budget. They have spent years tweaking it - it is a lofty goal to overtake.

If the Viper is successful sales wise, I do expect it to be an absolute monster in a few years (But lets be honest, it is already with the numbers it is hitting). I'll gladly be happy with my 1st year Gen V for awhile :D

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could be a fly on the wall or the little man on your left shoulder when the new ACR arrives.you all sy, that wait till the Viper gets tweaked an more of this and more of that comes out of it. By then, the ZR1 and the like will also have more of this and more of that. It has nothing to do with the mature platform or the budget of the ZR1. Im sure the 1996 ZR1 also had a more mature platform and budget than did the 1996 viper but, got its doors blown off with the performance of the 1996 GTS. Infact, it got its doors blown off by the 1996 GTS for 10 years till the 2006 ZO6 came out. 10 YEARS folks !! Thats how long it took them to catch up. Correct me if I'm wrong(im sure most of you will anyway,true or false), but, you may have ordered them early and now with the comparison tests out ,are trying to convince yourselves of your decisions. I myself love this Icon whether the car wins or loses against the competition. BUt, would I ever order/own one. Nope. I for one love and will continue to cherish this car because of the status it had, HAD, not has. Performance numbers were very important to me and what made me fall in love with this car years ago. I might be speaking for many here on that note. Im sure you all here also loved this car for its performance numbers as well. Im sure it was not the creature comforts. I for one am waiting for the future developements and a new more "improved" performance wise car. Thats just me. Hey, if your all happy with what you got for 120000+, than be it. Enjoy. Just watch out for those Vettes on the street. Keep your eyes and ears closed to all the bragging rights. You know they will be coming for us with those. I in the meantime will build a TT car and show those ZR1's what im made of and what the viper stands for. Pure Power !
Good luck with the new cars and don't pay any attention to all us naysayers. but, I repeat, keep your eyes open for the ZR1's.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you SA heat, this is a more elaborate version of my earlier argumentation. We have a WAY short development time on one hand (Gen 5 Viper) and a way longer one on the other that has the benefit of a lengthier R&D finetuning period (ZR1). I have every bit of Viper Faith that SRT will make good on this, but only if we are more respectful to them than some have been so far.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No trolling, perhaps you are more grounded in reality than most :)

The ZR1 is a mature platform that has a massive budget. They have spent years tweaking it - it is a lofty goal to overtake.

If the Viper is successful sales wise, I do expect it to be an absolute monster in a few years (But lets be honest, it is already with the numbers it is hitting). I'll gladly be happy with my 1st year Gen V for awhile :D

Just remember, the original Viper was also thrusted into reality on a shoestring budget.... something to ponder about ;)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Government Motors used Viper owner tax dollars from the bailout to develop the ZR1 and to subsidize garbage like the Chevy volt which funds all go back into the same hands... Aaah the Irony:dunno:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Chrysler not receive bailout money also?

Yes initially... but the Gen V was developed after Chrysler was sold to Fiat at a $1.3b loss. The ZR1 still reaps the benefit of US government/Taxpayer ownership.

"Nearly four years after what became a $49.5 billion bailout, the Treasury Department announced on Wednesday that it would sell 200 million shares back to the company for $5.5 billion, then sell an additional 300 million shares by early 2014.

Currently, the exit would produce a loss of more than $12 billion for taxpayers — one of the few major bailouts that did not produce a return. "

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could be a fly on the wall or the little man on your left shoulder when the new ACR arrives.you all sy, that wait till the Viper gets tweaked an more of this and more of that comes out of it. By then, the ZR1 and the like will also have more of this and more of that. It has nothing to do with the mature platform or the budget of the ZR1. Im sure the 1996 ZR1 also had a more mature platform and budget than did the 1996 viper but, got its doors blown off with the performance of the 1996 GTS. Infact, it got its doors blown off by the 1996 GTS for 10 years till the 2006 ZO6 came out. 10 YEARS folks !! Thats how long it took them to catch up. Correct me if I'm wrong(im sure most of you will anyway,true or false), but, you may have ordered them early and now with the comparison tests out ,are trying to convince yourselves of your decisions. I myself love this Icon whether the car wins or loses against the competition. BUt, would I ever order/own one. Nope. I for one love and will continue to cherish this car because of the status it had, HAD, not has. Performance numbers were very important to me and what made me fall in love with this car years ago. I might be speaking for many here on that note. Im sure you all here also loved this car for its performance numbers as well. Im sure it was not the creature comforts. I for one am waiting for the future developements and a new more "improved" performance wise car. Thats just me. Hey, if your all happy with what you got for 120000+, than be it. Enjoy. Just watch out for those Vettes on the street. Keep your eyes and ears closed to all the bragging rights. You know they will be coming for us with those. I in the meantime will build a TT car and show those ZR1's what im made of and what the viper stands for. Pure Power !
Good luck with the new cars and don't pay any attention to all us naysayers. but, I repeat, keep your eyes open for the ZR1's.

Sure, ill tell you how ill feel - happy that the platform is moving forward. I have absolutely no interest in the ACR, so I am unsure where you are drawing your assumptions about me from.

I don't have to convince myself of anything, I ordered the car, sight unseen, performance unproven. It is terribly fast, no matter how it compares to the ZR1 - faster than ill ever be able to push it. It is the Viper I want. I've done well enough in my 30 year life to buy a car that costs three times as much as the average household income, that is what I am proud of, not some numbers on paper.

If I wanted to impress teenagers with numbers from magazines, I could have done so for a lot less.

And I won't worry much about keeping my eyes open for the ZR1's, since you couldn't tell the difference between it and a GS ;)

I'd venture to bet everyone will be surprised when they get in the hand of consumers. Then you all will be no where to be found.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, ill tell you how ill feel - happy that the platform is moving forward. I have absolutely no interest in the ACR, so I am unsure where you are drawing your assumptions about me from.

I don't have to convince myself of anything, I ordered the car, sight unseen, performance unproven. It is terribly fast, no matter how it compares to the ZR1 - faster than ill ever be able to push it. It is the Viper I want. I've done well enough in my 30 year life to buy a car that costs three times as much as the average household income, that is what I am proud of, not some numbers on paper.

If I wanted to impress teenagers with numbers from magazines, I could have done so for a lot less.

And I won't worry much about keeping my eyes open for the ZR1's, since you couldn't tell the difference between it and a GS ;)

I'd venture to bet everyone will be surprised when they get in the hand of consumers. Then you all will be no where to be found.

Thanks for your opinion.

We must hope tht SRT does not depend on its sales on customers like you as you are one and a few in between. Like i said in the post, if you got too much money and dont know what to do with it then all the power to you. If your buying cars sight unseen and just on a whim..well then...like i said, your far in between. SRT and most car companies love guys like you. unfortunatley they don't depend on guys like you otherwide they would go broke.
I myself buy a car for what it represents. Is it performance, is it style, is it comfort, is it economical...or is it the brand. Either way, there has to be a reason. More importantly I need to know about the car and its reviews. i need to know its numbers. The numbers that are important to me. Does not have to be HP numbers, could be MPG numbers or depreciation values or any of the above mentioned reasons and thier numbers. The moral of the story is, I need to know what the car is capable of before i put my foot forward. Not just what is expected of it or is fictional. I need the facts. I care too much about my money just to buy the newest thing out there. The Viper is important to me but, not with what the SRT team has put together for this car. not to me anyway. I am sure there wil be a car in the future that I will admire more than this one. I will await. Maybe next time they will be honest with us and show us the numbers before they expect us to show them the money.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion.

We must hope tht SRT does not depend on its sales on customers like you as you are one and a few in between. Like i said in the post, if you got too much money and dont know what to do with it then all the power to you. If your buying cars sight unseen and just on a whim..well then...like i said, your far in between. SRT and most car companies love guys like you. unfortunatley they don't depend on guys like you otherwide they would go broke.
I myself buy a car for what it represents. Is it performance, is it style, is it comfort, is it economical...or is it the brand. Either way, there has to be a reason. More importantly I need to know about the car and its reviews. i need to know its numbers. The numbers that are important to me. Does not have to be HP numbers, could be MPG numbers or depreciation values or any of the above mentioned reasons and thier numbers. The moral of the story is, I need to know what the car is capable of before i put my foot forward. Not just what is expected of it or is fictional. I need the facts. I care too much about my money just to buy the newest thing out there. The Viper is important to me but, not with what the SRT team has put together for this car. not to me anyway. I am sure there wil be a car in the future that I will admire more than this one. I will await. Maybe next time they will be honest with us and show us the numbers before they expect us to show them the money.

Well, apparently SRT is doing something right. There are tons of new people on the Gen V forum, who are buying their first Viper - and according to Bill he is almost sold out of allocations, before the cars were even off the assembly line.

But I am sure they much rather have the blessing of people that own 16 year old cars who have no intention of buying new. That is what really moves vehicles, right?

And that isn't a slight on GTS owners, I still absolutely love it. But lets be real here.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, apparently SRT is doing something right. There are tons of new people on the Gen V forum, who are buying their first Viper - and according to Bill he is almost sold out of allocations, before the cars were even off the assembly line.

But I am sure they much rather have the blessing of people that own 16 year old cars who have no intention of buying new. That is what really moves vehicles, right?

And that isn't a slight on GTS owners, I still absolutely love it. But lets be real here.

Is it not Ironic how SRT and Ralphs quote that they designed this vehicle around the 96 GTS...Hmmm...we are the market he is still targeting ofcourse..or is hoping to target anyway. Sold out you say...hmm...i thought their making like thousands of these cars? Your telling me their sold out of thousands of units....i doubt that. Even if they do, when the new ACR version comes out..there will be alot of trade ins...

Again...don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a naysayer. I was never going to order one anyway,regardless of HP, the styling was not enough for me to fork out 120000+ on this new Viper. Not me anyway. I would rather fork out 40000 and TT my car with all the goodies and not worry about styling or performance. ill have that for under 100000. Once again, I dont need the newest and most comfortable. i find my car very comfortable. Dont need the bells and whistles. If i did I would not have bought a Viper. I would have bought a Ferrari or the like for that. i bought my Vipers because of their iconic figure, styling, and ofcourse, the numbers compared to its competition. 96 GTS (underated 450HP More like 465) 96 ZR1 375 HP i believe. Anyway, good luck with your car and enjoy it.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't understand why there is so much hate, no matter how you try to veil your post, it is there. Why are you and others so worried about decisions made by other individuals when their decisions do not impact you in any way. Vipersmith has made a personal decision and he does not owe you any type of explanation. Why he bought that car is none of your business and your making judgements of him go way beyond civility. If you do not like what you see in the new SRT products that is your right, but, why attack those in this forum because they do not share your beliefs.

Politely Yours and a kind hint, try the spell checker

Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, thanks for the words. I don't get the negativity either.

Maybe he is just mad it can run circles around his car :p

I look at it this way, Viper could have been sold off to the Chinese and we'd be seeing a total abomination!

Personally, I am happy to finally own a Viper, even if the "true believers" think it is terrible because it isn't exactly what they want. Ill enjoy it.

I am just happy I have the health and passion for hard work that has gotten me where I am and I wish it on everyone else in 2013 and beyond. We have a lot to be thankful for, automotive technology has progressed a lot since 1992 and we are all better off for it.

Best to all in 2013 - hope to see you all on the road in your new or old Vipers!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen II which I love and I have no doubt I will feel the same about my Gen V.

Jack, thanks for the words. I don't get the negativity either.

Maybe he is just mad it can run circles around his car :p

I look at it this way, Viper could have been sold off to the Chinese and we'd be seeing a total abomination!

Personally, I am happy to finally own a Viper, even if the "true believers" think it is terrible because it isn't exactly what they want. Ill enjoy it.

I am just happy I have the health and passion for hard work that has gotten me where I am and I wish it on everyone else in 2013 and beyond. We have a lot to be thankful for, automotive technology has progressed a lot since 1992 and we are all better off for it.

Best to all in 2013 - hope to see you all on the road in your new or old Vipers!

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't understand why there is so much hate, no matter how you try to veil your post, it is there. Why are you and others so worried about decisions made by other individuals when their decisions do not impact you in any way. Vipersmith has made a personal decision and he does not owe you any type of explanation. Why he bought that car is none of your business and your making judgements of him go way beyond civility. If you do not like what you see in the new SRT products that is your right, but, why attack those in this forum because they do not share your beliefs.

Politely Yours and a kind hint, try the spell checker

lol...too funny to see someone who doesnt get what he reads...maybe if I spelt the word thier their you might have got what I meant...lol..too funny pal. In the first place I am sure me and Vipersmith are big enough boys to have a discussion about our thoughts. His post reply to my post was a hit so I posted my opinion on his reply. If you dont get it...well...lets see...I was not talking to you now was I. Why is there so many ppl like you on here who feel they need to voice someone elses thoughts....lol..

Let me remind you since it looks like you forgot for a moment. This is an open discussion forum. Infact, its so open, you have enthusiasts and members who share their thoughts about one passion and beyond. Sometimes, believe it or not, ppl dont hold the same thoughts you do, so,a discussion, Its not called bashing or the like. Maybe thats the way you and some others see it but, its not always that. Sometimes someone elses opinion is ok if its not the same as yours. Even when its a negative one. Now, when i open up a coversation with your thoughts , maybe you can keep an open mind and realize its a free world and we all have an opinion. I simply stated my opinion on what Vipersmith replied to my post.Thats called a discussion.
Im sure Vipersmith and i are old enough to get through our thoughts without you making them into a puddle.

If you cant make out some of the words because of spelling mistakes, ask a freind to help you out nextime. Just a freindly hint.

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny

How many of the motivation factors below describe you?

MOTIVATION FOR POSTING

Ignorance, stupidity, total moronotosus has set in
Hate
Jealousy
Short term memory loss (multiple post saying same thing) (multiple posts say same thing and being the same fool)
Napoleon complex
Works for GM
Owns or wants A GM Volt
Cannot afford a Gen V
Inter Viper platform jealousy
Banned from all other car forums
Laughed at on all other car forums
Don't know when they are being laughed at by friends and family
Envy
Thought Benedict Arnold was a hero
Voted for Obama
Think Mayor Bloomberg is an American hero
Think that Acorn is a nut
Posted during down time when picketing in Michigan during the signing of the "right to work" law
Have not yet received their "fair share"
Suffer from Humanus Slackass Erictis (pants on the ground)

#10 and 15 are the only ones that do not apply to JL!!! He is a big :baby:!!