Evaluation after first round of mods

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently posted my thoughts on the performance of my newly acquired Viper. As a recap it was a bone stock '97 GTS w/6k miles. I was not too impressed by the power and definately not impressed with the sound.

Last weekend I had filters/smooth tubes, Belanger Headers, RT hi-flow cats, Corsa exhaust, Magnacore wires, & EBC green pads installed by Maltby Motorsports in Woodinville, WA. First off I would like to say that Matlby Motorsports is a first-class operation. Cam was very accommodating to my hectic work schedule and did an excellent job with my car. I am used to shops that try to talk you into doing extra things to your car or try to get you to buy various unwanted items. That was definately not the case here. It was a very laid back and friendly atmosphere. I don't think this is a news flash, but incase there are any other Washington newbies like myself out there, this is the place to go.

Alright enough brown-nosing, I'll get on to my evaluation of the parts. Getting rid of that damn brake squeal along with all the brake dust the old pads would create was worth all the money I spent on that alone. It was driving me nuts. Under the hood the headers look downright ****. The Corsa exhaust coming out the back of the car gives it a much more aggressive look and sounds incredible. This is the way the car should have left the factory. Its got that aggressive idle note I was looking for and when you open it up it is intoxicating. I find myself blipping the throttle at stoplights just to hear the car.

Performance wise I feel that there is a difference in the car. I guess I got about 30-35 hp with the mods and I can tell they are there. It lights up first gear with ease now and second gear can now get a little hairy also. The car seems to pull to redline harder also. Before the car started to run out of breath getting close to redline, but now it just keeps pulling. Well worth the money invested for these parts.

I think these mods will tie me over for a little while. My next step will be heads & a gear change this winter. I am going to try and shoot for 600 hp.

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the evaluation..

I am looking forward to getting my hi-flow cats and Corsa exhaust on soon, and I am thinking more and more about getting those EBC green brake pads too!

Thanks

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget cross-drilled rotors.You should have put them on since you were putting ebc pads on already.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cam was very accommodating
Humm, maybe Cam can fix you up with a new cam as well. That with the new heads will get you to ~600hp at the fly. There is a guy in our club with your mods plus heads and cam pulling 525rwph. Glad the beast is more to your liking. LMK what Tony M thinks of it after his visit. Looks like I need to get to work on mine. I can't have my little 'bro' with a faster car :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there a serious warning about not covering up aftermarket headers with the heat shields? I think I've read over & over that it's important not to run headers w/o the shields.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why cross drilled rotors? I don't think they do anything for you and they just might warp.
The grooved rotors are ok.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you search you will find more than a few statements like this one,

"It has been a long held belief that cross-drilling or vented rotors provide a benefit to braking. Some enthusiasts hold true to this belief, while others are strongly against the practice. The fact is, that in the past, vents were drilled into the rotor to let pad gas escape and to aid in rotor cooling. With modern carbon metallic and Kevlar style pads however, the gas build-up does not occur. This leaves many brake experts to believe that cross drilling is unnecessary. Furthermore, many agree that cast iron rotors should not be cross-drilled at all. The reason is that cast iron rotors are brittle and the cross drilling can lead to stress fractures as a result of heat. If however, if an aftermarket manufacturer offers a rotor that is pre-drilled, the holes are more than likely chamfered to reduce the chance of stress cracking. Although in theory there is a weight reduction and some minimal cooling taking effect with a factory sized, cross-drilled rotor, the main reason why they are done is purely for aesthetics."

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why cross drilled rotors? I don't think they do anything for you and they just might warp.
The grooved rotors are ok.
I'm a guy who hates factory stuff. I custom everything i have that way i'm unique. I like to stick out and yes i'm a poser. :D Cross-drilled rotors look bad-*** anyway.

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the evaluation..

I am looking forward to getting my hi-flow cats and Corsa exhaust on soon, and I am thinking more and more about getting those EBC green brake pads too!

Thanks

Best thing I've ever done is the Corsa, hi-flow cats, filters and smooth tubes. The EBC greens are a MUST!!!

The dust is considerably reduced - the stock pads are terrible with black break dust.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have had all the stuff done prior to delivery...

Even if I can't feel the increase in power - the sound "makes" it sound a lot faster....

OP
OP
C

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust has completely transformed the car. It has given the car some much needed personality. On the way home from the shop I stopped by a bar where a couple of my friends were. I gave my buddy and his g/f each a ride. My buddy said it picked his feet up off the ground and his g/f said she had never ridden in a car that felt like a roller coaster before.

Mikey, I will let you know what Tony thinks. You know Tony, though, he will probably say his '84 bitchin Camaro he had back in college was faster.