ever have your gas pedal go to the floor....and stay?

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if this happens to you don't fret. first...i hope you can coast to a safe place, put steering wheel in upright position, squirm underneath the steering column...and at the end of the cable there's a disk about a ½ inch thick, lift the gas pedal, (i know some of you wanna call it an accelerator pedal), tilt the disk 45 degrees and slide it in between the 2 flat parallel bars that the pedal attaches to. it works like it was designed that way, but there's a rubber grommet that's part of cable assembly which fits into the fire-wall, and sometimes it tears, (very poor design), so to save time call your service mgr. and tell him to order the entire accelerator cable. and if he gives you any lip....tell him Billy Bob said to do it...or else. and there you have it.

Rick

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That happened to me when I was 16. '66 Buick Electra, 425 4v. I was power-braking - doing greasy one-wheel burnouts - and a motor mount let go. The throttle hung wide open and I thought I was going to drive through an elementary school wall (at night) at 90 mph. Finally, some sense of rationality and logic overcame me and I turned off the key.

How in God's name did I ever survive my teens? I'm glad He was watching over me!