Ever tried NO side sill heat shields?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw some answers in the archives to suggest you should use them, but here is the side exhaust I am doing on my 2001 GTS:

-> Belanger headers
-> Parts Rack R/T HF cats
-> Belanger mufflers and side exhaust pipes
-> Autoform FRP side exhaust sills

I am putting the Parts Rack louvered vents in the front of the sills, and will also be adding quite a few vent holes on the bottom of the sills. Probably 1-3/8" as I have a diamond hole saw that size, and maybe 3 to 4 per section between the mounting screws underneath. That's 9 to 12 holes. Or maybe even more or bigger. Have not designed that part quite yet.

I talked to Autoform a while back and it was discussed that on some of the race cars they have run without heat shields in the sides, but that is of course w/o cats and w/o being stuck in Texas traffic during August.

And since some will wonder why I would consider not using them, why use a part you don't need?

Comments?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burn baby, burn.

What's the maximum temperature of the cats?

400 - 900 °C (752 - 1652 °F)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
burnt.jpg

I hate to see pictures like the above ... with or without beer.
The fire started at the passenger side cat and went further to the inside of the car.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what really caught fire there? Clogged cat? Junk buildup? With my potential issue being the high temp fiberglass being unprotected, I don't think the incident you have the picture of makes a good reference. In your pic the aluminum sill has just burnt paint, and therefore did not catch fire to start the fire. The inside of the car is protected by the inner shield on the frame so my carpet will be no worry.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for it Dave, inquiring minds want to know. I have the Random Tech exhaust and the stock insulating material is a tight fit, to the point I am getting some resonance from it. If it was safe to run with out it, I would. I have no cats and adding additional venting would be fine with me.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have cars both ways. Neither have side sill venting or insulating material. Both cars have Roe superchargers and Belanger headers. The RT/10 has no heat shields, no cats, and Belanger exhaust. The 2001 car has heat shields, hi flow cats and Corsa track exhaust. The catless car sidesills are considerably cooler. This car has idled in parades in 90 degree heat for an hour or two.......gets to road tracks, autocrosses, and has had no issues in the 70,000 miles it's been this way. The 2001 has done the parade thing, but heat heat literally radiates off the sills. There has been no paint bubbling though towards the sill rear which i think is the common place for it to blister. I would maybe consider some venting on this car, but see no reason to modify the 'daily driver'

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960