Exhaust Advice

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a HMS cat-back system a month ago that was supposed to be delivered in two weeks. John e-mailed tonight saying that it will not be ready for another couple of weeks. He said he has the Corsa system in stock but I like the look of the HMS system better. I think I may just ask for a refund and go with another tuner. HMS claims around 25rwhp with the cat-back system. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I looked at TNT's system but from the pic it just looks like some mandrel bent tubing with tips on the end. No muffler? For 2000 bucks. I know we own vipers but my god is there really that much of a difference between the $400 systems that are sold for mustang cobras and the $2000+ systems that every tuner is selling? What system has the greatest gains? How hard is it to install headers? Do it yourself job or pay viper tech buttload of money job. Any input would be great.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most gain i have heard of is the exhaust & headers BTR sells "Belanger", they have made more then 50 RWHP "without cats" and sound great.
Check them out at www.BTRVIPER.com

Borla has a nice system also, they fall a little short on power compared to the BTR system, they might give you 40-45 RWHP "without cats" i have heard , but save you a few bucks, and they sound really mean.

i personally went with the BTR system, i am all for Horsepower

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We went with the BTR Belanger system and are extremely pleased with it. The sound is incredible and the power gain noticeable.
Tom Welch was a great resource for any questions I had.
As for installation, you could do it yourself, but a rack and air tools make it much easier. I took a day off work and helped the guy at my muffler shop to install the complete system. it took just under 4 hours. It bolted up perfectly. He charged me $130.00 for the work.

Steve

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Mopar exhaust system. I understand it to be a Borla exhaust with the Mopar name. Sounds great. Dave Jenkins installed it in a couple of hours. It was well worth the few extra bucks to have it installed by a pro.

You must be registered for see images

Larry

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2Fast,

I'm with you, I was really put off on the pricing of cat-backs considering what most of them looked like. I grew up on Mustangs & love the deep throaty sound you get from a few huundred bucks of exhaust upgrade. I spent a good amount of time talking to JonB at the PartsRack. I originally was going with HMS too, but his price and the postings here of seriously delayed parts shipment, etc. scared me off. I went with the Belanger catback, with K&N's & smooth tubes from PartsRack. The K&N's with smoothies went on a day ahead of time & increased the crackle sound & pumped the exhaust note up just a tad. The catback went on & I"m in love, the exhaust note is perfect for me & it doesn't drone like a 2-chamber flowmaster, it growls at idle & roars on throttle. A hp increase is apparent, I wish I had dyno numbers but I'm a week a way from that, but the SOTP feel is crisper, and the pull feels harder. The K&N with smoothies & the Belanger system set me back somewhere around $1500 I think. Inspecting the belanger system I can say that I felt it was a system that looked like that much $, very clean & well costructed, replaces side resonators, uses straight-thru muffler design, has balancing tube & beautiful 3+ inch polished tips. I recommend calling JonB & reviewing all the systems, he knows them all. My install was done by one of the best guys around, Jason Heffner, for under $200 - that's only a few dollars more than my Mustang labor has been on exhaust jobs.

Dave.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sound of the Belanger catback may be good, but adding the
Belanger headers makes the car sound like no other. There is a definite SOTP feel. I did an Solo event yesterday with 26 other cars, one a Cobra replica pushing about 525HP. The consensus of the group was that the sound system on the viper was easily the best of the bunch.(although the Cobra sounded pretty good to me). The mufflers in the catback are 3" Walker bullets. As I stated earlier, the entire system, headers and all, can be done in around 4 hours using a rack and air tools.

Steve

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Belanger headers if you want most power, of the Borla ones if you want best longevity, slightly less power, and much less cost.

Then, go to a muffler shop and have them put a 3" set of pipes right to the butt of the car - choose the tips you like and enjoy.

It will be pretty loud though! If you want less loudness, get some "bullet" mufflers (preferable adjustable) from Parts Rack and install - quiet or loud is just a few clicks away.

If you want cats, call Sean Roe and get some of his 3" high-flows.

ARC Joe has a Belanger/3" setup with 4 mufflers on it (2 per side) and it sounded VERY nice at E-town last week.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment Mike. I am very pleased with the Belanger system. Great quality, fantastic fit, simple installation, outstanding performance. SOTP feel is amazing, although I haven't dynoed the car yet. I did run 12.1's @ E-town with the only other mod being removal of the water deflector in the air box. It's an ACR so K&N's are smoothies are stock.

If you go w/o cats, even with 4 bullet mufflers it's a bit loud. Also, the exhaust odor can really assult the olfactory senses at times. As far as performance, ohmagod!

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Belanger headers or any header with the Corsa exhaust? How do you like the sound? I know some have bought only the Corsa cat back without headers and like the sound alot.

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that HMS has taken a step in the right direction. He said he has started on my order and will have it ready by next week. If he comes through my faith will be restored. I'll post the results.

John H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump 1.0
I know most of you rank exhaust messages up there with candya$$ Zaino topics. But still, I have the exact same question as Brad (quoted below). Decent chunk of cash in question here. I've heard nothing but good about the Corsa sound as well. I assume Corsa has the 3" catback available now and that would be the one used. Also when choosing to delete the cats, what additional piping/labor is involved? Are "test pipes" necessary or do the headers (assume Belangers) bolt directly up to the catback? Also does anyone use an H-pipe or X-pipe configuration in their exhausts?

thanks,
John Hein
Meguires User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad/Viper-Fan:
Has anyone tried the Belanger headers or any header with the Corsa exhaust? How do you like the sound? I know some have bought only the Corsa cat back without headers and like the sound alot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
John,

X-pipes and H-pipes (balance tubes) have to be installed as close the header collector to get any real power benefit from exhaust scavage. There is just no room to do this on a Viper while keeping the pipe reasonably short in distance. There was one owner, however, who made a balance pipe to connect early in the exhaust system, but I think it’s a bit too much length to give any real benefit other than raising an eyebrow or two:

So putting an H or X balance back by the differential will not do much for power, but it will effect the sound and pitch by raising the pitch a bit. This will reduce some of the resonance that is stronger with the lower exhaust pitch. It's a reason Corsa and BTR cat-back systems use balance pipes in front of their rear mufflers. If you delete the rear muffler completely, like the Snake-oyl pipes, and install an “H” pipe you will get a higher tone and possibly a very slight “whistle” on WOT. You won’t hear the whistle while driving the car, but spectators track side might. Not a bad thing, just don’t be surprised. Snake-oyl put an “H” pipe on our pipes but I would have had them put in something like Dean Word’s (GTS Dean) “X” pipe if I’d seen it soon enough.

A balance pipe will put off some heat so don’t place it too close to the differential.

Also, Viper magazine had a response to the balance pipe question a few years ago and stated that a balance pipe placed on the exhaust of bench motors being dynoed did not realize hp gains. Maybe this is due to the odd fire exhaust pulse of the Viper motor nulling out the typical scavage benefit. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John H:
Also does anyone use an H-pipe or X-pipe configuration in their exhausts?
thanks,
John Hein
Meguires User
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Now THAT is a testimonial! ---

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve 00RT/10:
The sound of the Belanger catback may be good, but adding the
Belanger headers makes the car sound like no other....a definite SOTP feel.......(at a) Solo event yesterday with 26 other cars, one a Cobra replica pushing about 525HP....consensus..was that the sound system on the viper was easily the best of the bunch.(although the Cobra sounded pretty good to me).....As I stated earlier, the entire system, headers and all, can be done in around 4 hours using a rack and air tools. Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VCA Members, mention the PartsRack ad in VCA notes for a package price? THANKS

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John H.,

I have just ordered the Belanger Headers and Corsa 3" cat back with High Flow converters. Due to back order on the Corsas it will be awhile before I receive them but will let everyone know how they sound once I install them. I have been told to expect an exotic car sound (Ferrari-ish) rather than a lower pitch muscle car sound that a Belanger cat back would tend to sound like. The lower pitch that the Corsas cancel out with their patented technology is what causes the dreaded drone sound in the car which drives me nuts.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get the most value go with the snakeoly sub assembly.. only $500.00 takes the garbage can size, $17 truck muffler they put on the rear and replace it with straight pipe and nice 3 inch tips!!
it sounds great...not too loud and not too soft, just right.
and i have a 2001 r/t10 (top off most the time)

i can't compare it to stock because i had this done by Woodhouse before i even drove the car...

so for the money you can go wrong!!!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I tried the Snake Oyl rear assembly and found the drone to be a bit much, the tips too long and the price a bit high, though the quality is very good. I did like the sound however, especially at idle.

Decided to make my own with $30 of stainless and a $50 chroming of the stock tips (Thanks for the donor stock muffler assembly Bob):

Found the idle to be motor-boatish (the underwater exhaust type), not as nice as the Snake Oyl. Above idle, the sound is quite nice, perhaps a bit quieter than the Snake Oyl (which I prefer). The drone or resonance is slightly less and fortunately over a narrower RPM range. Overall, slightly better sound in my opinion than the Shake Oyl, but greatly better if you like the look of the stock tips and if cost is an issue ($80.00 vs. $500+). Might weld up an X-pipe next to see how that works, then finally go the full header route. Just having fun experimenting for now...

</FONT f>

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Borla headers and Cat backs available for $2200 includes shipping, I also have Hennessy's headers and my own Cat back system from B&B for $3400 (cat back requires converter exchange) or you can go for SVP headers with B&B cat back for $2400 but you have to custom fabricate a turn around pipe from header to cat. These are all stainless steel sytems

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year, I took the rear muffler out,re-used the stock tips and put in 2 pieces of straight pipe at a local muffler shop for
$30.00 total. If you are contemplating an expensive system down the road-this is the way to go for starters. The sound is much better than stock and a good interim improvement.

Steve

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we are on the topic, I also have been contemplating the addition of either headers plus exhaust or just a cat-back system.

I am told I should be careful about matching the header and exhaust system sizes, i.e. if I go 3 inch headers, then use a 3 inch exhaust, but if I go cat-back then a 2.5 inch cat-back would be best.

Trouble is I am hesitating on the header system because of all the sensor problems that I hear about. So if I go cat-back now will I have problems if I want to add the headers at a later date when the check engine light problems get resolved (if ever).

Any suggestions?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve 00RT/10:
Last year, I took the rear muffler out,re-used the stock tips and put in 2 pieces of straight pipe at a local muffler shop for
$30.00 total. If you are contemplating an expensive system down the road-this is the way to go for starters. The sound is much better than stock and a good interim improvement.

Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This was recommended to me by Chuck and Gerald as well, and I was considering it. However, has anyone ever had any legal problems with this? (I once had a Mustang with no muffler and got a citation for it...)

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:

X-pipes and H-pipes (balance tubes) have to be installed as close the header collector to get any real power benefit from exhaust scavage. .....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Marv, Do you mean like this?
smile.gif
smile.gif

Merge collectors make the most power. The picture above is the exhaust system we built in the shop in 1998 and sent to Caldwell to engine dyno test.
On a chassis dyno, a bone stock engine with recalibrated PCM, smooth tubes and filters with this exhaust made 465 rear wheel HP.
And No, these are not for sale. It was just something we were trying out a few years ago. It works
smile.gif

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sean, That RACE header is an interesting design. Sure is strong power increase. Too bad the race Vipers get power restrictions placed on them instead of allowing something like this. Don't think there's enough room under a stock, street driven Viper for that design. What's " The rest of the story?"

Very
cool.gif

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In answer to Elite1's question, all the one's I have seen delete the rear muffler and open up the resonator. At least, that was what I was looking for when looking for a cat-back.

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Short answer: Yes

Long Answer:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>You get 4 new mufflers from: Corsa and BTR Cat Back give you (one in each side sill and two in the rear)

<LI>You get 2 new mufflers from : Borla, (aka Mopar), Snake-Oyl Full Cat-Back, HMS, TNT, and B&B with new side sill mufflers and straight pipes in the rear.
[/list]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
Do all these cat-back system installs include a muffler?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume stock comes with 4 then and 2 on the side and 2 in back. This would have some major bearing on sound and heat build up since places creating airflow restriction would buildup more heat. I thought I saw in some cat-back ads that some helped the heat in the cabin because of the exhaust passing under the cabin unrestricted. Any feedback related to this and the power effects muffler in conjunction with stock exhaust and/or replacement cat-backs would be appreciated.

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Stock comes with 3..... One muffler/resonator in each side sill that feed into a single muffler at the rear. Take a look under the car. The power effects mufflers are typically placed in the rear of the car (where the single stock unit is) and are after the side sill mufflers.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
I assume stock comes with 4 then and 2 on the side and 2 in back. Any feedback related to this and the power effects muffler in conjunction with stock exhaust and/or replacement cat-backs would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad you guys like the exhaust. In addition to making great power, it also sounded absolutely awsome (not like a V10, more like a stroked and built big block V8).
Why aren't we building it? Not really setup for "production exhaust assembly" at the moment and already have a lot of irons in the fire. Who knows, maybe when I run out of new ideas I'll go back and look and reviving some of the old ones
smile.gif
Right now we're converting the GTS to a standard style side exhaust (left and right outlets) to see how it sounds and if it makes any difference on the dyno. I'll upload some sound files when it's done. Maybe after that we'll do something "different".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456