exhaust for my 95

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
search function seems not to work for me today....looking for help from gen 1 people was thing of going with the roe gen1 bolton system...basicly I dont mind a bit more noise want a system that is basiclly bolt on and cooler running...dont want to use headders..dont want the constant popping sound on deceleration..anyone that has gen1 cat back systems any thoughts like/dislike etc much app...I am also going with the fibreglass side sills at least for a while till I get mine redone sometime next year
thanks and to all on here a safe and happy holiday season

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the ROE side exhaust from March '07. My only complaint is a drone at ~1700RPM that is very bad. That's with my SC. I don't know if it is there on a NA. I put exhaust cones in when I go on a long drive to cut it back.

OP
OP
N

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The roe system was the one I was thinking of getting, was a good write up on here a while ago with some video's, however there seemed like a lot of popping during deceleration kinda sounded like a ak 47 going off

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call jonB at partsrack.com he's got a few systems i bet and can teach you a bit about all of them

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the roe on my 94 with stock manifolds. I do not think it is obscene at all. At idle is not to loud but when under throttle it does make some deep noise. If you do a search you will find my how to on the install.

If I had to do it over I would go catless to further reduce sill temps, but that will make quite a bit of noise difference.

I do not have any popping.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Magnaflow mufflers on my 1993 with a cat delete. I looked at my invoice from A.R.T. and the mufflers ran me $190. I'll put RandomTech high-flow cats back on right before my inspection next spring.

I love the sound; it's a big improvement over stock. Other drivers would blip their throttle to greet me at VCA events, and my unaltered exhaust would pale in comparison.

I took a video of the "before" with a few engine revs but haven't done the after yet. I'll post a reply in the next day or two with the comparison.

From what I learned, there are very few mufflers that fit our Gen. Is. When I spoke with our local shop, basically my options were the Roe catback (which took a little modification to fit my 1993) or the Magnaflow mufflers/cat delete. We have a 1994 down here that has the Roe catback, and our cars sound very similar. I don't know how much it improved my horsepower numbers (if at all) but it actually SOUNDS like it looks now.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Magnaflow mufflers on my 1993 with a cat delete. I looked at my invoice from A.R.T. and the mufflers ran me $190. I'll put RandomTech high-flow cats back on right before my inspection next spring.

I love the sound; it's a big improvement over stock. Other drivers would blip their throttle to greet me at VCA events, and my unaltered exhaust would pale in comparison.

I took a video of the "before" with a few engine revs but haven't done the after yet. I'll post a reply in the next day or two with the comparison.

From what I learned, there are very few mufflers that fit our Gen. Is. When I spoke with our local shop, basically my options were the Roe catback (which took a little modification to fit my 1993) or the Magnaflow mufflers/cat delete. We have a 1994 down here that has the Roe catback, and our cars sound very similar. I don't know how much it improved my horsepower numbers (if at all) but it actually SOUNDS like it looks now.

How are you going to get through the sniff test for inspection without CAT? Do you put them back on for inspection?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How are you going to get through the sniff test for inspection without CAT? Do you put them back on for inspection?

I deleted the cats right after my inspection last spring, so I'm good until April. Just don't get stuck behind me on a drive! As for fixing my smog machine before the sniff test, I'll just throw some RandomTechs on there before I head up to Maxwell (unless you know someone on the take)!

I've been postponing adding the cats in hopes of finding some used headers before my inspection, then I can have it all done at once. So far, no luck; headers demand a premium, even when they're used!

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted the cats right after my inspection last spring, so I'm good until April. Just don't get stuck behind me on a drive! As for fixing my smog machine before the sniff test, I'll just throw some RandomTechs on there before I head up to Maxwell (unless you know someone on the take)!

I've been postponing adding the cats in hopes of finding some used headers before my inspection, then I can have it all done at once. So far, no luck; headers demand a premium, even when they're used!

Cheap route for headers would be some '00-'02 stockers. There are a good number of them lying around at very reasonable prices.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, look at dynomax mufflers through summit...$90 for the pair...sounds mean and so far I have no drone.

TNT Headers - Jon B
RT Hiflow - Jon B
Dyno Max Mufflers - Summit

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cheap route for headers would be some '00-'02 stockers. There are a good number of them lying around at very reasonable prices.

Where are they lying? What kind of improvement over stock can I expect, and how do they compare to their aftermarket counterparts?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are they lying? What kind of improvement over stock can I expect, and how do they compare to their aftermarket counterparts?

Actually, I have heard to stay away from the stock ones...can't remember why, but I just remember doing research and deciding that it wouldn't offer any benefit.

Have you called Jon B?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep a search on ebay, call JonB, & call the tuner shops. Do a search and you'll see the mods required to get them to work on a Gen1. It's not a straight up fit.

I suggest them because a DIY on most headers is a PITA. I also have heard that there is very little performance to be had on a stock '00-'02 by going to aftermarket headers. That, plus the weight savings, indicate that it's a good budget improvement for a Gen1.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, I have heard to stay away from the stock ones...can't remember why, but I just remember doing research and deciding that it wouldn't offer any benefit.

Have you called Jon B?

I talked to Jon B. at the end of October and the only ones that were close to what I was wanting to pay ($600-700) were the Mopar Race ones ($250/set), which Chris told me to stay away from for various reasons. At the time I think most of the headers he had were new.

OP
OP
N

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im leaning towards the roe but will give jon B a call in the new year before i order see whats what..happy holidays all

OP
OP
N

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
10824DSC01132.JPG

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally put together the video of my before/after exhaust. I don't know if this will help you make your decision at all, but here it is:

[media]http://www.jtiff.com/viper/exhaust.mov[/media]

In June, I changed out the stock exhaust on my Viper. In this video you'll first hear the start, idle and 4000RPM rev with the stock exhaust, consisting of the stock exhaust manifold, stock catalytic converters and stock mufflers. The second half of the clip plays the start, idle and 4000RPM rev with the same exhaust manifold, but no cats and new Magnaflow mufflers. As you can hear, the exhaust note changed slightly at idle but isn't any louder and produces no drone. It's only when you're getting on it or when you're decelerating that you hear the major differences. It smells and backfires now, but it sounds MEAN.