Exhaust Heat Containment

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone used the exhaust cloth tape wrap to contain heat within the exhaust system of the SRT 10? These products are widely used on sports cars, race cars etc..I know there are heat shield kits available but these don't prevent the heat from radiating from the outside of the exhaust system like the insulation wrap would. Going to the source of the heat and reducing it seems more effictive than trying to shield it after the fact. Containing the heat inside the exhaust system also helps the exhaust gasses travel faster and more efficiently. The typical wraps are 2" wide and can be held in place by Stainless steel wire or S.S. hose clamps. I'm curious to know if anyone's gone this route for all or stratigic sections of the exhaust sytem?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said it right, (going to the source of the heat)

Remove the sec. cats, and your heat problems are gone, not to mention the other great advantages of this. Keep the primary cats, you will pass any emmision test out there with the sec. cats removed. This is what is heating up the car so much, but the SRT is not that bad anyway. By the way put some Bullet Per. Mufflers on while your in there. You will love the car then. Use some heat tape also if you like. This would really be great.

Skip

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm removing the secondary cats soon and I bought some wrap from Summit Racing to insulate the pipes along the sills. I figure it will keep that area a little cooler plus keep the pipes from rattling. I have straight pipes, no 'mufflers'.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have removed my mufflers and ran straight pipe a couple of months ago.What kind of sound difference will I experience with secondary cats removed also?Any one done it in 2 steps to compare the sound? Thanks

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the sec. cat removal will make a huge difference in sound, The substrate material is through the complete body of the cat, this has to be very restrictive.

Skip

ps, I do know the Chevy's hot rods really sound great with the cats off as compared to being on.