Exhaust Installed, P0432 CEL follows

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 GTS, and I recently installed the B&B Headerback system without cats. I drove the car for about 175 miles problem free. While on my way home last night the Service Engine Soon light came on. Car still runs fine, didnt notice any difference.

Got up this morning and took the car to AutoZone and had the car scanned. It spit out only one code, P0432, "Catalyst Efficiency Low - Bank 2"

I'm not surprised, because the car obviously no longer has any cats.

What effect does this have on the car? And what options are there to go about fixing this? I've done some searching on here and have found a few things, but am not sure what works the best.

Some people say o2 simulators will fix this problem, some say they wont. On my previous cars, you could turn off the rear o2 sensors while reflashing the PCM.

Other's say the 98 PCM doesnt care about not having cats, and will never trip the light/code.

What worked best for those of you no longer running cats?

BTW, the car sounds awsome now! 100% better then the crappy stock exhaust system.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As long as bank 2 is rear 02 you're fine. I honestly cant remember and am too lazy to look it up :D

Apparently some 98's do throw the code. I never tested to see if mine would.

Roe 02 simulators will do the trick. Sometimes they come up for sale on ebay or this site. Roe sells them for 150 bucks. I'm not sure any of the other ones on ebay work. I think a few guys bought different types but I never heard the results. Maybe a quick search will help.

When I was catless I installed the Roe sims. I sold them several months ago for 90 bucks. You can have the ECU flashed so the light doesn't come on, but I doubt anyone would do it for under 100 bucks. I personally couldn't stand catless (too loud for me), so I installed some RT metal cats.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine ('98) threw a code 4 years ago after I installed B & B's and deleted the cats (after about the same mileage). I erased the code with an OBDII and it never came back on. I think the "banks" are left and right. The O2's are upstream (before cat) and downstream (after cats). You can actually pull the rear sensors out and tie them up out of the way. They just tell the PCM if the cats are doing what their supposed to. The front O2's are what affect a/f, timing, etc.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[SIZE=-1]On a typical dual exhaust system, Bank 1, Sensor 1 is in the left manifold; Bank 2, Sensor 1 is at the right manifold; Bank 1, Sensor 2 is behind the driver's side converter; and Bank 2, Sensor 2 is behind the passenger side converter. [/SIZE]

99% chance it's your secondary 02 on the passenger side. First thing I would try is resetting your ecu. If that doesn't work then either get used to the light, get a Mopar ECU, SCT tuner, send your ECU t to Viper Specialty or DC performance or get 02 sims.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can provide you with a custom calibration that will work well with your combination of parts and keep the light from coming on.

OP
OP
C

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, thanks everyone. I ordered the o2 Sims from Roe Racing.

There is an auto-x event coming up this Sunday, and the o2 sims will not be here yet. Is it okay to beat on the car with the light on? I havent noticed any differences from the light being on/off.

In all my other vehicles, the light comes on merely to tell you your Cat is going bad, but doesnt effect performance. So I'm just double checking.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned above, my understanding is the rear O2's are not used for tuning. But one problem with having a constant CEL, regardless of whether you're hammering on it or impressing your mom with your safe driving skills, it could mask a more important CEL.