Exhaust Note... (Cat Back)

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their short throw shifter advise...

Now I need to address the exhaust note, or should I say lack of from the stock exhaust. I'm open for suggestion but am leaning toward a cat back, but one with some presence!!

Not looking to make any major mods in the future (read: NO turbo, S/C, Nitrous, etc..) Just want a nice streetable car that has an aggressive sound.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has a Borla Cat back. Not too loud but has a nice rumble. I would prefer louder but then again I think that Nascar engines are almost loud enough..lol

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the older borla(2 mufflers only, not with the rear mufflers) than switched to the corsa catback on my 2001 GTS.

The corsa I thought was a great sound with virtually no drone. I thought the borla had waaaaay too much drone.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might want to go and listen to a few systems if you have any access. I have high-flow cats and Corsa cat back system. No drone at all-pretty nice sound.

Kurt

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a hard enough time finding a GTS to look at and drive, let alone one with a cat back!! I did find and look at a 99 GTS in the Tampa area that had a cat back, but he was the 3rd owner and didn't know what it was, in addition it didn't have a very aggressive sound at all (whimpy).

My prviouse ride was a Backdreaft Cobra with a stroked 408. Now that DID have an Agressive note!!

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wont get the same sound from a V10 that you will with a big block V8. They just have a totally different sound too them. I agree...that Cobra would have sounded HORNY !!!!!I love the way the Cobras sound. I want one some day.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a hard enough time finding a GTS to look at and drive, let alone one with a cat back!! I did find and look at a 99 GTS in the Tampa area that had a cat back, but he was the 3rd owner and didn't know what it was, in addition it didn't have a very aggressive sound at all (whimpy).

My prviouse ride was a Backdreaft Cobra with a stroked 408. Now that DID have an Agressive note!!

I'm in Original Carrollwood Tampa. You are welcome to come by and listen to a 3-inch catback or a muffler delete. I have both.

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra sounded GREAT. I know not to expect the same sound from a V-10, But I would love to get at least an AGRESSIVE growl goind...

Here's a pic of the Cobra..

[image]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/RedOneGTS/IMG_0044.jpg[?image]

I like red!!!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my standard reply to
"what kind of exhaust should I get"

Sound is VERY subjective. What I may think sounds bada$$, you may think absolutely *****. Folks here are very passionate about their exhaust sound AND the brand that they are running.
Get to VCA club meeting, a Viper Days event or just to a local gathering of snakes at a ******* and listen to the virtual cornucopia of varying and different sounds.

It has been said many times here on this forum that all of the "B" systems drone. With a GTS this may be an issue for you.
Also do you want to go with hi-flow or no cats? If your state sniffs exhaust, one of those will not be an option.
I have had 2 Vipers and on both I had 3" RT hi-flow cats and 3" Corsa catbacks. No drone, and very pleased. Not too obtrusive at idle or running, but when your foot hits the firewall......small children, animals and old folks run for their lives.
Good luck in your search!

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I'm there... I was wondering if we had many Tampa based Vipers here....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm loaded up and getting ready to head down to Sebring tonight. You are welcome to come by tonight before I leave or come down to Sebring where there will be six to eight Vipers running.

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO sniffer in FL... So cats can go...

My dog had adapted to a beast awakening in the garage Sat mornings!!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I'm waiting on an auto transporter right now (NO Z06!!) when will you be back? Can I call to arrange? Thanks,

Mark

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm over near Oldsmar,
But if you have to have red, you'll have to see Chuck.
I have the corsa cat back.
BUT, you'll have to get here before SUN or it will be two weeks.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought it was hard to send the kids off on vacation, but sending the car off for an operation is pure HELL. It's heading off this sunday.

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemibeep,

Would love to catch up with you also... Would love to see that Hemi RR too. I may be able to slide by Tom as I do have to run out to Holiday for a moment.

OP
OP
R

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lethal,

Youe setup looks like somethinh I would be interested in... Just some modest upgarades woth a great sound and a little extra umph to go with it...

Anyone close with a B&B catless?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By far the loudest meanest cars in the MN club are running B&B's.
My buddy with his Borla and no cats just put a Roe S/C on his car with B&B headers. He still can't hear his car when I'm around. I just had my shorty stock headers ceramic coated for looks and funtionality. They are satin black without heat shields. I think my car was around 145db when I entered a muffler rapping contest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine