Exhaust Question! (I'm new, could use some help)

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust Question! (I\'m new, could use some help)

I'm going to be buying a Viper in the near future and I'm curious about exhausts. I'm skeptical about the Borla, I don't want to spend a lot of money on something and not like it. I'm looking for the most mean, aggressive, and loud exhaust I can get. I don't want ti to pop and be unclear though. I am looking for something thats gonna rumble at idle and roar when I give it some gas. I own a 2000 Trans Am right now with the SLP Loudmouth Catback Exhaust on it. I'm a big fan of the "SLP Loudmouth" exhaust and I was hoping SLP offered the same system for the Viper but it doesnt! Any help on suggesting what I might do to get the kind of sound I am desireing?

I'm not exactly sure exactly how the exhaust is run underneath the Viper. Does it have true duals where there are 2 pipes that run straight to the engine or does it have a single pipe and have a dual outlet like the F'Body?

Do you guys have any idea what a glasspack sounds like on the Viper? I don't know to much about them but I was thinking maybe eliminating the cats, strait pipeing it with glasspack mufflers? Any thoughts on this? I am trying to stay away from complete straight pipes because I'm affraid it will pop and fart. I know I need to have something in order to tune the tone of the exhaust. I know that the fiberglass in a glasspack breaks down but would that be enough to keep my exhaust from pops and farts when I'm reving my engine or letting off of the gas?

I know I'm never gonna get the V10 to sound like the V8 but I want the sound to be as loud, aggressive, and mean, as my loudmouth on my Trans Am.

I know you guys will give me some great advice and I look forward to reading all of the replies! Thanks a lot guys!

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Exhaust Question! (I\'m new, could use some help)

Loud and obnoxiuos = Borla, high flow cats, and remove the last 2 mufflers from the Borla system.
If you are going to track the car, Corsa, they give Viper Days points. Sounds quiter than the Borla. Can also remove the last 2 mufflers for more sound.
All Vipers pop during deceleration - you will love it.
If you do anything, change your cats to high flow - more power, more sound, cooler temps. Worth it alone, but do it with an exhaust change.
Call Jon B at www.partsrack.com his advice is free, he know what he is talking about, and he has the best prices around.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say do this...Corsa track with high flow cats from random tech...it will sound really nice from what I've heard. I had a ws6 with a borla on it and loved it...someone I know had a slp loudmouth but the loudmouth is basically a straight pipe I didn't like that much. I'm going to get my stuff installed sometime early next week and I'll put up some short clips from the old (stock exaust) to the new!

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where are you located? It is best to go and listen to some in person. I had a 99 Camaro SS, did not have the loudmouth, but had the SLP exhaust. My Viper BLOWS away any F-Body that I have ever heard. I have headers and Borla exhaust with hi-flo cats and removed rear mufflers. This thing rumbles and is VERY loud. I constantly set off car alarms in parking lots and scare other drivers.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On my gen1, I just removed the stock mufflers, replaced with 3" straight through Belanger muffler.
Left the stock cats in place.

My car sounds like World War Two. You don't want anything more than that.

On the gen1 you have side exhaust outlets.
The pipe goes right from the manifold, through the cats, through whatever muffler and out the side.

No crossover pipe. Just two short separate exhausts.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Depending on what you want B&B Header/exhauste seems to give a better performance gain. Noise doens't mean performance, noise can mean turbulance and performance reduction.

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i am selling a good system that may fit your car is on the clssified adds
(2) 3"cat random technology high flow plus a corsa track sistem ,i uused for 20 miles ,great hp gain.nice sound but i want something very loaud and they are
going to be custom made.i got mine from tho parts rack .good stuff .
if interested call me 540 4470197

carlos

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Look in the clasified adds(under parts and exhaust) and you will find exactly what you are lookin for.
two 3 inch random tech cats and a corsa track system is the best system for side exhaust /only 20 miles ang you gain power .good souns an eazy to install.
call if interested ,iwant my car a lot louder no cats.they are being custom made

carlos otoya

540 447 0197
thx

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Look in the clasified adds(under parts and exhaust) and you will find exactly what you are lookin for.
two 3 inch random tech cats and a corsa track system is the best system for side exhaust /only 20 miles ang you gain power .good souns an eazy to install.
call if interested ,iwant my car a lot louder no cats.they are being custom made

carlos otoya

540 447 0197
thx

$hit your kidding me! Thats exactly what I ordered from parts rack as well. If I had seen this a little earlier I would have saved myself some good money!!! I hope its loud enough for me though or that will ****! :eek:

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

x