Exhaust Upgrade Help (which one do I get)

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my exhaust system, get more horsepower and a better sound,
Can I get some feedback on who likes what and how much horsepower gain I can expect? Once I make my decision my car is in the shop for the upgrade, I just don't want to be sorry.

thanks

FLX

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B&B headers, no cats,B&B 3" exhaust with X-pipe. LOUD! My guess would be 40 HP increase, but it sounds like a 100 HP increase. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thankyou,
But I think I need Cats here in ma, their a little tough with none.
any other suggestions

FLX

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my exhaust system, get more horsepower and a better sound,
Can I get some feedback on who likes what and how much horsepower gain I can expect? Once I make my decision my car is in the shop for the upgrade, I just don't want to be sorry.

thanks

FLX

The Corsa 3" catback exhaust seems to be a viable alternative although the basic parts kit costs about $380-400 more than the Borla (not sure of cost as compared to the B&B). The Corsa is also advertised as a 'bolt on' installation (when using the stock cats)......if Hi-Flow cats are used, it requires an adapter that might need to be welded (although I'm not sure on this)....check with your Viper tech.

There is a link which I have included below that allows you to hear the actual sound of a Corsa after installation......good luck!

Corsa sound

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also curious to hear some feedback on exhaust setups. I have done a search, but I never really saw a clear cut answer. I was thinking of going the belanger route, headers, no cats, belanger cat-back. I am leaning towards belanger due to the fact they guarantee no resonance. I have a ZR-1 with the B&B cat-back and the resonance on that is so bad you can barely talk to the person sitting next to you in the car.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried the belanger and the Corsa system. They're both good systems, and you will get equivalent power gains from either (not a lot -- 10-15 HP without other mods). The primary considerations are (a) sound quality - the Corsa is quieter and sounds more like a jet boat, while the Belanger is louder and sounds more like a big block; (b) construction - the Corsa is stainless, which will tolerate MA weather if you drive a lot in the wet (yuck) while the Belanger is coated mild steel.

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

thanks

FLX

Here is a link for FT Force Automotive Performance.....they sell the Corsa catback system for $1192.77 and they also have the Borla cat back system listed for the same price.....(although from what I have seen the average cost of the Borla has been just under $1,000 from most)

FT Force

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just yesterday I got B&B 1.75" headers and the full 3" B&B exhaust with their high flow cats installed. I did a baseline dyno and 1/4 mile times before the install. Within the next few weeks I hope to do the after install runs and be able to report the difference in real numbers. See my thread 1/4 mile baseline '99 RT/10 under Racing Results for the history and status so far.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say go with the B&B goods all around, which are stainless steel, and look and sound great. I've read a lot about all the various aftermarket exhaust setups.

You must be registered for see images

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you need to do is get to a Viper get-together so you can hear all of the different systems, and then you can get the system that sounds the best to you.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Belanger set up and Borla Cat back. The Random Cats are extremely high flow you can see right through them. I've heard the Corsa set up and I think the Borla sounds better but that's just me.

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi FLX,

In my experience it depends on what you do with your car. I have a 97 GTS and do a lot of high speed continental cruising. Origionally, I had a Borla system (great sound) but the drone did my head in after two hours driving, so I changed to High Flow Cats and a Corsa system (again, great sound). I can now cruise at 120/130mph for a couple of hours (before needing to refill) without getting a splitting headache.

Hope this helps. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just had the B&B 1 3/4 headers, Roe Ovals, and B&B cat back (w/X-over) installed on the car and I love it (its LOUD)!! I just got the car back last night, but the sound is absolutely fantastic, and the dual 4" oval tips look great. Lots of compliments from the install shop as well in terms of the B&Bs overall quality. ive got some pics of the install and before/after dyno sheets if someone can host for me. otherwise ill get them up as soon as possible. final #'s were 445.7rwhp/486.6rwtq :)

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats another thing, I don't want the drone where I have to go lay down after my ride,
thanks for all the info

maybe I will go to a meet a talk to everyone and hear it myself

FLX

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
love mine randomtech substrate cats, and B&B catback.
i like the sound. neighbors and wifey think a tad on the loudside.

i say if you like it a little loud you will love it!

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything without DRONE, I certainly don't want a headach

thankyou everyone for the info, I will let you know my decision
FLX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members