Exhaust venturi?

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone here installed an exhaust venturi to reduce the drone inside a cabin? I bought a set, but wanted to know from a Viper owner if they work on this engine or not..

You must be registered for see images

same goes for vortex cones

I know an x-pipe can help too, but I don't really see a place to put one

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one in the top pic, Borla use to give those to people who had 3000GT and Stealth Turbos because their exhaust would have a drone at certain RPMs.

It worked on them, I know as I had a few of the cars and had installed them.

They "should" work on a Viper also. It was explained to me by someone at Borla that it would change the resonant frequency.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Drone equals....

Factory exhaust
Corsa exhaust

Trying to figure out where to put a venturi in an improperly designed exhaust could become.............................well........ quite exhausting. Good luck with your venturi. If your going to put that perforated waffle cone in your exhaust, you'll probably lose more HP than with the OEM design.

R

RTED

I have used the Vortex cones pictured. Roe high flow cats/exhaust on a 95 RT (side exhaust). In installed them at the end of the muffler just before the turnout on the side. The overall decibel was noticeably less, but the drone was still there. I took them out a couple of years ago. They are made out of stainless so they would last a lifetime. Sitting on the shelf in the original boxes.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Drone equals....

Factory exhaust
Corsa exhaust

Trying to figure out where to put a venturi in an improperly designed exhaust could become.............................well........ quite exhausting. Good luck with your venturi. If your going to put that perforated waffle cone in your exhaust, you'll probably lose more HP than with the OEM design.

+1

What is your current exhaust setup Roffle?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id say give the venturi a try but be careful of heat. take some before after readings with an IR

i really dont like that cone at all. any added heat in the exhaust is BAD. not for the cabin, but for the engine....

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well, its not supposed to hurt the flow much, especially since it will be placed right before my flowmaster muffler (straight through design). + I have no cats. I'm also going to ask the shop to weld the pipes to cross together before the muffler like in the B&B triflo and corsa design

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, its not supposed to hurt the flow much, especially since it will be placed right before my flowmaster muffler (straight through design).

Why do you say that? What would be the diff in before vs after the muffler?

What flowmaster has a straightthru design? from what i know they all have chambers and baffles something like:

I'm also going to ask the shop to weld the pipes to cross together before the muffler

weld together a custom x-pipe? they will chuckle and proceed to order something like this:
H-Pipes, X-Pipes & Merge Pipes - Exhaust - SummitRacing.com
or specifically:
MagnaFlow 10791 - MagnaFlow Tru-X Stainless Steel Crossover Pipes - Overview - SummitRacing.com

(it would take someone about an hour to draw up, cut, and weld an x-pipe and it wouldnt be smooth. an hour of labor costs 60-100bucks, so you mightaswell just buy the real deal x-pipe for 80bucks:2tu:)

So you currently have:
Stock headers / NoCats / StockMuffler in sidesill / flowmastermuffler in rear??

I suggest you replace the no-cat straightpipe with a straight-thru muffler. Something like this:
Dynatech 76-014252
or
MagnaFlow 10426 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I doubt those venturi tubes will do anything to stop the drone. goodluck with whatever you do though.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
oops, I meant dynomax 17231

dual 2.5" in and out. sounds fantastic over 3000rpm, but boomy under

yes, from what I can tell (just bought the car), I have stock headers/no cats (sills are cool), stock resonator, dynomax in the back

is there room for a x-pipe around the header area before the split off?

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put them in an 03 with Corsa exhaust. Worked perfectly for me. Cut the drone and volume to just where I liked it. Could easily run with top down or windows open.

Later installed Paxton, and probably should have removed them, but all in all I was well satisfied.

Got them from Parts Rack as I wanted the correct size for my exhaust.

Probably gonna lose a few HP, but the better tone was well worth itl

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Roe Hi-flows & Random Tech (with Xpipe) and although it sounded ok, it was quiet at WOT (comparatively).

Next was 3" Corsa track exhaust, Cat delete with TNT headers. Intimidating rumble at idle and lower rpms. Car becomes it's quietest between 1,000 and 2,100rpm. Amazing quiet sound while cruising down highway at 50-80mph. WOT lets everyone know that they should go home.

Amazingly enough I spoke with Corsa rep at VOI X and he showed me how the straight through 3" "muffler" uses sound cancellation technology to tune out the bad frequencies and that's what makes the Corsa the best sounding exhaust for a Gen 2 Viper.

Although throttle does make my Viper loud, I have only gotten compliments on it's sound qualities.

The venturi is used in BB and Burns collectors and I believe I saw some SVS style headers that also used the smaller diameter collectors(?). Expecially with a 5 > 1 collector there is a lot of flow stall when entering into the massive chamber of 5 tubes. With a slight venturi the headers do perform slightly better than without some venturi. I certainly wouldn't put any restrictor in the exhaust anywhere else as other than beign a part of the header collector the cones/venturis/etc. all slow the flow by restricting it which loses hp.

As far as Stealth R/T TTs go and custom exhaust - I have 3. None of them drone. 3 stages of mods as well.

Ted

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next was 3" Corsa track exhaust, Cat delete with TNT headers.

CorsaTrackExhaust? gen2? I thought the only "track" exhaust was the side exit one for gen3/4 ?

Amazingly enough I spoke with Corsa rep at VOI X and he showed me how the straight through 3" "muffler" uses sound cancellation technology to tune out the bad frequencies and that's what makes the Corsa the best sounding exhaust for a Gen 2 Viper.

Right, i wander if the mufflers are specifically tuned for the viper. That might explain why they are the only manufacture who dosnt sell universal mufflers. If there was universal ones then i would prob be trying em in place of my cats.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put them in an 03 with Corsa exhaust. Worked perfectly for me. Cut the drone and volume to just where I liked it. Could easily run with top down or windows open.

Later installed Paxton, and probably should have removed them, but all in all I was well satisfied.

Got them from Parts Rack as I wanted the correct size for my exhaust.

Probably gonna lose a few HP, but the better tone was well worth itl

good to hear. I guess I'll try it before adding an x-pipe

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Right, i wander if the mufflers are specifically tuned for the viper. That might explain why they are the only manufacture who dosnt sell universal mufflers. If there was universal ones then i would prob be trying em in place of my cats.

they get a much much higher profit margin selling the mufflers + a bunch of pipes. (but you're paying for a lot of R&D)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CorsaTrackExhaust? gen2? I thought the only "track" exhaust was the side exit one for gen3/4 ?

Your correct there is no "track" exhaust for the Gen II. Your also correct in that the forward and rear cannisters on the Corsa are tuned to work together. The Corsa is the only exhaust that is essentially a straight pipe. It only has a small slot in each cannister. All other mufflers work with perforated metal or some kind of chambers which distrupt flow. The Corsa really is an engineered system.

You might as well put one of those turbines in your air filter if your going to jam some sugar cone with holes in your exhaust.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
nothing wrong with venturi's. they've been on the market for a while. Borla recommends them on their systems to reduce drone, I spoke to a rep

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not track exhaust? Hmm, I do have the reasonators at the rear with the small H connector pipe with the "muffler" looking chamber inside the sills. 3" pipe from headers to tips.

Only other exhaust I heard that sounded the same was also called 'track Corsa' by the owner. Out of the 400+ Vipers at VOIX there was only a couple that sounded even remotely similar to mine. Mine was the 'loud one' when I revved it in the parking garage.

Speaking to the Corsa rep at VOI X he seemed to know what I was referring to when I called it Corsa track exhuast. He knew were talking of a Gen 2 because he explained that the 'mellow tones' can't be duplicated on the Gen 3 because of the side exits and short length of pipe.

I'll ask him again at VOI 11.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took mine out of the Corsa due to the high temprature it was causing. Notice in the picture how white it is.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cones, IMO, are a waste of money. They did nothing for me on a B&B catback system. Contact Partsrack, I believe JonB sells an x-pipe or rear muffler delete for the GenII. He's also very knowledgeable about exhausts on our Vipers and should be able to point you in the right direction.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine out of the Corsa due to the high temprature it was causing. Notice in the picture how white it is.

bolt, isn't that the belanger pickle :dunno: for low end back pressure :dunno:

eucharistos & Roffle,
why not use the best of both worlds?
Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Ultra Flo™ X Mufflers

i saw that muffler, but looked like with the x being perfed like that that it would cause quite a bit of back pressure - but looking at it again, it could be the ticket

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bolt, isn't that the belanger pickle :dunno: for low end back pressure :dunno:

i assume that merge collector thing was dyno tested/designed and i would not just yank it out without consulting with the manufacture. They would prob even be able to email you a chart comparing with/without it.