Exotic Car Show for Non-Profit: Need Participants!!!

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I organize a sports car club in Northern Virginia (The NoVa Sports Car Club (Centreville, VA) - Meetup) and I was contacted by Mary Sherrick the executive director of a non-profit in Pennsylvania who is hosting an exotic car show at the Antique Auto Museum (Antique Auto Museum at Hershey, Pennsylvania). I assured her that I would do my best to round-up some cars so that’s why I’m posting. The event is expected to have about 400 attendees, participant prizes, and local media coverage, but this is the first year so they’re hoping for a particularly strong turnout.

The non-profit is called Castaway Critters and they help find placements for homeless animals. Here is a link to the organization and the event: CoolCars.

Now, I just want to say that I am in no way affiliated with Castaway Critters, other than the fact that I was contacted about getting some exotic cars together. However, I am uniquely involved with sports cars and with similar animal-related non-profits in Fairfax, VA, so I wanted to help her out.

Anyways, it should be a great time to spend the day at the museum and the Hersey, PA area. I’ll be organizing a cruise for the people who want to drive up from Northern VA and Maryland, but feel free to contact Mary directly and submit your registration form. The cost for each participate car is $20, which is a joke frankly. Otherwise, just PM me and I can send you more information. Again, here is the link to the participation form: CoolCars.

At this point, I don’t think Mary is worried about getting too many of one type of car….I think she just wants a lot of cool cars….so here is some basic information she provided about what they are looking for…

1st Annual Castaway Critters
“Cool Cars for Cats and Canines”
April 30, 2011 (10:00am-2:00pm)
Antique Auto Museum, Hershey

We are looking for owners of exotic cars to participate in our first Annual Exotic Car Show. Participants have the chance to showcase their cars, meet with other car enthusiasts, and compete for crowd voted favorites and win prizes. What is an “exotic” car by our definition? Most simply stated it is a car that has limited production, scarcity or has been personalized/created in an unusual way. It is generally not intended for a large market audience of buyers. If you see it on the road regularly, in parking lots, or a traffic jam, it is not an exotic car. Some examples of exotic cars are marques such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Lotus, Bugatti, McLaren, Maserati, etc. Time-honored supercars, such as Porsches and Corvettes, among others, are also welcome. We want YOU and your special car. Come join us for a day of car fun and you’ll be helping homeless animals in need.

Your $20 donation will include the following:
One car entry into the show
Entry into the “Owners Tent” (complimentary breakfast/lunch)
One entrance ticket to the Antique Auto Museum

Registrations will be accepted until April 10th, 2011.

Please Return Registration Form, along with your $20 donation to:
Castaway Critters
c/o Mary Sherrick
410 Market St
New Cumberland, PA 17070

For more info, see our website at Welcome to Castaway Critters, the James A. Hueholt Memorial Foundation
Or call 717-919-0466

Again, I’m bringing my 2008 Viper and I think it’s a great excuse to get a bunch of owners together from around the area. It should be a great event and I’ve heard awesome things about the museum. Honestly, even if I wasn’t a participant, I would still go up and check out the cars. Again, please pass the information along to anyone you know who might be interested. Lastly, the participant application is still old school, which means that you’ll have to print it, sign it and mail it in, so if you’re interested, please do so promptly.

-Chris

eurowalt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chris great job ith all the get togethers around our area. I have yet to join in on the fun. Most of the Viper crew I hang with all have there cars put away for the winter. Ill try to meet up for the DC Auto Show tomorrow,

OP
OP
S

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Walt.

1) I'll PM you my cell number. I'm planning on getting there around 11-12p. Not sure who else I'll be with (but it wouldnt be the first time I went to a car show by myself :)

2) Yes, please pass the word about the exotic car show event. So far they only have two Vipers (both SRTs) and I know everyone loves the Gen1 and Gen2 so I'd love to get some of the local Viper owners to rally around this. Here is the link with the updated pictures: CoolCars

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

I sent a copy of the post through our membership email server since a majority of members don't check/post here. Thanks for gathering the information. If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

OP
OP
S

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

I sent a copy of the post through our membership email server since a majority of members don't check/post here. Thanks for gathering the information. If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

Thanks John!!!! Just getting the word out...that's the most important thing....that and pray for better weather.

-Chris

OP
OP
S

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:
Sorry for the delay in getting this together….

1. Attendance - If you’ve registered for the event, then you should have gotten an email from Mary Sherrick confirming your participation. If you haven’t yet officially registered, please do so. Also, please encourage your friends to attend as guests. The more the better IMO.

2. Hotels – If you would like to drive up on Friday and stay the night OR if you are planning on staying in Hershey after the show, then I would recommend that that you reserve at room at either…
Holiday Inn (New Cumberland) 1-717-774-2721
Best Western (New Cumberland) 1-717-774-4440
Tom Clark made these suggestions considering location, cost, and parking lot size and safety. The rate at either hotel should be about $120.00 per night. It would be a little cheaper (about $109.00) if we reserved a block of rooms, but that might be a bit complicated given everyone’s unique circumstances.

Please also remember that there are two big events going on the following Sunday. (A) We have the Deutche Marque Concourse in Vienna, VA and (B) the 2011 University of Maryland Spring Meet for Charity in College Park, MD. So again, I’m not sure how many people are planning on staying Sat. night, but given the Sunday events, I’m driving back that evening. I’m imagining that everyone will be a little spent by the end of the day, so the cruise back will likely be broken up into smaller groups (depending on when people want to leave). Obviously, we’ll see how it goes.

3. In order to accommodate everyone interested in driving up together Sat. morning, the route is still being tweaked. The show opens at 10:00am and my goal is to get us there by 9:00am so that we have time to clean off the cars a bit. We will be stopped at each location to allow people to arrive and to refuel as needed. See the last section for a map. Here is a narrative of what I have so far… (Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback)…

Google Maps

A. TYSONS CORNER, VA [arrive whenever – leave by 5:10am] (gasp): The Northern VA people should meet at the Starbucks in Tysons Corner, VA. (8520 Suite D, Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA, 22103, 703-760-7037). This should be a familiar location to many and it’s close to the beltway. We are leaving VERY early and will be on a tight timeline, but there is just no way to hit all of our check points without doing so.
[30 min drive]
B. COLLEGE PARK, MD [arrive 5:40am – leave by 6:00am]: We will be meeting a group of MD folks at the IKEA parking lot in College Park (10100 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD 20740). Again, this should be a familiar location to people. We won’t be stopping for long, but it should give us enough of a window to connect.
[45 min drive]
C. BALTIMORE, MD [arrive 6:45am – leave by 7:10am]: Like Voltron, we will combine forces with the GTR group (and others) at the Bob Evans (400 W. Padonia Rd., Luthersville-Timonium, MD 21093). Again, short window for everyone arriving, but we should have just enough time to get a quick break for fuel.
[45 min drive]
D. YORK, PA [arrive 7:55am – leave 8:15am]: We can make a short stop at the McDonald’s in York, PA for anyone else in the area who wants to join us (I know there is a Nissan GTR group coming for example) (1500 North George Street, York, PA, 717-848-6024).
[45 min drive]
E. HERSHEY, PA [arrive at 9:00am]: We should have enough flexibility in the schedule to account for some unexpected delays and still get there on time to clean the cars a little (Antique Auto Club of America Museum, 161 Museum Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, 717-566-7100).

In general, I hope these locations and times make sense, but again, let me know if I missed something. Also, please also note that we will be playing a game on the way up. The game is called “Make it There,” and the rules are simple…..if you make it there in one piece then you win….if you do something stupid and crash…then you lose.

I'm also aware that we can easily get too many cars, which could slow things down. We should all do what we can to watch each other’s back, but for caravaning purposes we will only make scheduled stops unless there is an emergency. We’ll have to just stick to the schedule.