Extended dodge warranty would you buy now or wait?

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got an 08 and want to get the dodge ext plan but don't want to drop $$ if they go bust and don't cover it. Thought about using a credit card and contest it if they drop it and leave me with nothing. I got time to wait it out on my current warranty. I believe the gov will at least back that any one else in my shoes?

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, planning to buy an extended warranty on my new 08 just waiting a little bit to see what happens.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought one for my '03 and it paid for itself at least twice over the cost, only buy the Dodge backed warranty and not from an aftermarket provider

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can always buy a warranty through dodge anytime before your facotry expires so you have plenty of time

OP
OP
L

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys, I know for sure to go through a dealer and get Chrysler owned ext. warranty. Gummyment said they'll back warranties no mention about extended ones. Please come back to this tread if you find out anything new. I got years to go, but want to make sure its covered.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything Chrysler or pontiac,saab,saturn and hummer for that matter. Well I might get a Viper because its a toy and you know what you are getting into. However all the rest except jeep are DAID and will likely drop in value like a brick. GTS Bruce

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to decide in the next 2 months what to do. Mine expires June 30. I'll probably buy with my AMEX on June 30 and just hope for the best.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The company is bankrupt. What don't you understand? The only way I would purchase the waranty is if they placed an amount into escrow equivalent to the amount needed to fix every system on the car. Why not send the money to my dog Spike in cash and he will promise to fix your car. GTS Bruce

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything Chrysler or pontiac,saab,saturn and hummer for that matter. Well I might get a Viper because its a toy and you know what you are getting into. However all the rest except jeep are DAID and will likely drop in value like a brick. GTS Bruce

Thanks for your positive advice and support.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The company is bankrupt. What don't you understand? The only way I would purchase the waranty is if they placed an amount into escrow equivalent to the amount needed to fix every system on the car. Why not send the money to my dog Spike in cash and he will promise to fix your car. GTS Bruce

I think the correct term is being "in bankruptcy". My point is that it is a temporary state which can terminate with becoming bankrupt or solvent. Surely it would appear that in the case of Chrysler with the intent and oversight of the federal government, there is (at least) an opportunity for financial solvency? So perhaps you can lighten up just a tad with the dogmatic presentation?

And if every insurer had to maintain "an amount into escrow equivalent to the amount needed to fix every system on the car being" to be financially solvent ... well even you'd be in debt to Spike.

More to the point of this thread, Adamlotus made the good point. The discount for extended insurance when you buy early (prior to the end of your factory policy) in your ownership is minimal. Keep those funds until 6 months (or thereabouts) before your factory warranty is to expire and then make your decision based on what's available (and call Chuck).

What's better than appropriate procrastination? :D

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One service trip to the dealer will convince you to get the warranty. I took the SRT-10 Ram there for minor issues (oil temp gauge didn't work and a squeek in the front end) and they called and told me it would be $885.00 to fix. I have the extended warranty so it cost me nothing. I've always believed it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. NOTHING on a Viper is cheap, and the longer you have yours the more you will find this to be true.

I've been lucky, for the most part, and I've been able to fix everything myself on my GTS. The one electrical issue I had was that my battery would lose a charge overnight. Some module was the cause and the part was triple the cost of any other car because it was Viper specific.