Fabricated my own splitter

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just fabricated my own front splitter. I didn't like some that were available and those I liked, I hated the price. So, I decided to fabricate my own. I have a friend that works in manufacturing Carbon-fiber and he was kind enough to donate some panels that were cosmetically imperfect. (I couldn't find the flaw) I laminated several layers together and using a template cut this to shape. I fabricated my own brackets and ordered the heim joints (rod ends) from McMaster-Carr. It is strong enough to stand on! After some sanding and fitting I think it came out nice.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have already ordered the GTS wing I want from Jon B and it should be here any day now.

I like my wheels, and the tires are new, but I don't like how they appear to sit too far into the wheel opening. I'm thinking about ordering a set of these 3/8" spacers from Jon @ PartsRack:

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=78

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet, I had one custom made as well. Yours look better however...

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome look ! Very talented, you are...

With the spacers you need longer lugs- does that place extra load on the bearing-or nothing to worry bout ' ?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. Where do the support rods attach? Mine attach to the glass in the nose of the fascia.....not a good thing as that's a serious weak spot.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. Where do the support rods attach? Mine attach to the glass in the nose of the fascia.....not a good thing as that's a serious weak spot.

I fabricated some brackets that mount the rods to the two bolts that hold the fascia to the chassis.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work, looks great.

I like my wheels, and the tires are new, but I don't like how they appear to sit too far into the wheel opening. I'm thinking about ordering a set of these 3/8" spacers from Jon @ PartsRack:
Ah, going to go for the skateboard look now. Too bad, your other mods will look nice. This will make it ricer. :(

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the spacers on with no rice affect and with over 7 turns on the lugs there no need to change the studs.

100_2147.JPG

F

FrgMstr

That looks awesome, good job sir!

Now, will you build me one from scrap too?!?!?! ;)

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the spacers on with no rice affect
Yeah, I guess 3/8'' wouldn't put them out too far. I just had visions of those cars you see banging about with the wheels way out past the fender.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice indeed! Thanks for the tip on mounting the supports. Better plan

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a better picture of the bracket. (still not a great picture but all I had was my phone). The brackets are all aluminum, the hardware is all stainless steel, the heim joints are stainless and the rods are also aluminum. I had to cut and thread the ends, (1/4-28) one end is left had thread and the other is right hand thread, so simply loosening the jamb nuts I can turn the rod in the ends and adjust the pitch. The splitter itself is 3/8" thick laminated carbon fiber.

I have some cleaning to do!!!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice work and great look! You obviously gave the setup some thought before building, e.g., mounting position, use of helm joints, etc. If you could figure out how to reproduce it, you'd have a sweet business deal there. Rice is in the eye of the beholder, so I think there are probably a number of Gen II people who would want this on their cars.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I love it! Very nice work.

I don't think you roadrace, but IF you do, I would take the spacers off.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I love it! Very nice work.

I don't think you roadrace, but IF you do, I would take the spacers off.

I am planning some track days next season. I thought the wider stance (widetrack Pontiac) would help. Should I take these off due to stud length or handling? What if I had the alignment with them in place?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning some track days next season. I thought the wider stance (widetrack Pontiac) would help. Should I take these off due to stud length or handling? What if I had the alignment with them in place?

Just MY thoughts regarding spacers and what I have learned from vendors and raceguys here....as long as the spacers are well designed, it shouldn't be a problem.

BUT...there CAN be a concern with wear on the wheel bearing, especially with a high hp car. Every wheel hub is built to work with a certain offset. This is the offset between the centre-plane of the wheel (half way between the inside and the outside sidewalls of the tires) and the face where the wheel centre actually mates with the hub......so the stock wheel will have the designed offset which matches the wheel hub.

As far as the wheel bearing is concerned, the offset determines the load on the wheel bearing and an incorrect offset will potentailly reduce the life of the bearing. But really, if you're not going wildly different from stock, the reduction won't be significant. Within +/- 5mm I wouldn't worry about at all.

Now if you don't want to change the loading on the wheel bearing at all, try to keep the total offset the same. This would be the offset on the wheel plus the spacer. For example, if the stock wheel is +35 and if you're replacing it with a +40, you need a 5mm thick spacer to keep the same offset.

Hope that makes sense:)

I personally chose to run a wheel that provided me with the offset I was looking for and NOT use spacers.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great.:2tu: From the pics looks to be Exactly what i had in mind for my splitter:
-Not to short and unfunctional like alot of DIY ones ive seen,
-Not to big like the Archer, GTSR ones that create so much downforce that require a rear wing to balance.

I cant wait untill this rainy weather clears up so i can stop by to see in person and beg you to make one for me:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss