Factory Stereo Replacement

SerpensMaximus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone repleced the factory radio with an aftermarket one? Specifically, was the factory amplifier able to be used in the new configuration or will iton ly work with the factory unit?

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been working on this myself, and I can answer a few questions for you.

The SRT/10 units are Dodge. So you can get "Dodge to Universal" adapter plugs from places like Circuit City or online. If you plan on buying an aftermarket unit and wiring it into the existing system, you'll need a Line-Output Convertor, also known as a high-level-to-low-level convertor. This is because aftermarket units have built-in amps, but your Viper has it's own Amp. If you double-amp the signal you can damage the factory amp and/or blow out speakers.

The best source I've found so far for these is here: ANTOnline.com

Your aftermarket head unit will come with a pigtail harness - wire it into the converter, wire the converter into the dodge-to-universal adapter, get an adapter trim piece for the aftermarket stereo (also available at Circuit City or online) and you should be set.

Jeff

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you buy a good high-end head unit, most have the option to disable the internal amp. Just an FYI on a feature to look for rather than add another little box to an already cramped for space vehicle.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see pictures of a few installed headunits in the dash as I saw one with just a panel that sticks on the outside of the dash panel and it just doesn't look clean at all. Who makes a good quality replacement dash panel for single DIN units? Or can double DIN fit?