Fatal crash in NJ................. 2006 Viper

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me a real rollbar before TC. My friend with modded 04 Z06 had trouble with his throttle by wire or something computer/sensor related on the expressway yesterday. Couldn't get it above 20 mph at all. Those are problems not found when there is a real throttle cable.

RIP to person and family.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Patrick-

Those statistics appear to be refering to deaths per ten thousand, of what? OF Corvette owners? (et al) Ok... Putting it that way makes it sound like sports car deaths are astronomical, if the death rate of sports cars is emphasized, over the sheer number of deaths. I don't know whart the raw numbers are for sports car owner deaths, but I'll bet it pales in comparison with overall traffic deaths.

Sports car are generally smaller and lighter than family sedans and pick-up trucks, and that may help to skew the statistics to show the higher death rate for sports cars. "9 times the Volvo 240". Ok, thats a car that is built primarily for safety, so that figures, heavier cars with built in roll cages, or full size trucks and SUVs will have a lower death rate. I'm not trying to say that sports car drivers don't tend to risk their safety more than other drivers, I'm just pointing out that the statistic of deaths/per/ten thousand/owners alone don't show every aspect of the number of traffic deaths. The construction of the vehicle itself has some bearing as well. And the huge number of mid-life crisis Vette owners will likely be more prone to heart attack or other age-related complications stemming from a car accident, and that may skew the statistic also.

I wonder how the deaths/per/ten thousand/owners statistic stacks up to deaths per total miles traveled, deaths per year, etc.

Here is a statistic that goes against the insurance industry's statistical spin- There are more deaths on American freeways, with our 65 mph limit, than there are on the Autobahn, with its sometimes unlimited speedlimit, per miles traveled. If speed alone was the single biggest factor in trafic deaths, it would follow that the Autobahn would be the deadliest freeway system, but it isn't. Education, skill, training, can play a big part in it. I'm for a higher level of training for Americans at large, and maybe some optional courses for professional truck drivers and sports car owners. We can make American highways as safe or safer as the world's best.

Although the rate of deaths in sports cars may be higher than the national average, it is also true that there are far less sports cars than there are other types of vehicles, therefore, the raw numbers of sports car deaths may not be consequential, when compared to the total number of traffic deaths each year, all types of vehicles included.

Why do I care about all this stuff? Because I don't want some fat azzed, opportunistic politician to mis-read statistics, and make some knee-**** reaction, aided by some mis-guided, tree-hugging journalists, and pass legislation restricting our American freedoms, based on a shallow examination of the statistics. THats the kind of sh*t they'll do, if they are trying get (re)elected.

Its too easy for them to say stuff like "Speed is the biggest single factor in traffic deaths" No sh*t, that only goes without saying, because if every vehicle was stopped (Speed=0), then there would be no deaths. So its stupid statement frequently made by people who don't like cars, or are afraid of them, or are frequent bed wetters, seeking to shift the publics' attention.

Obviously, speed is a neccessary component to our economy, and its not the speed alone that is the problem, its also our cursory traffic education system, and lax pre-licensing training.

Dude, have you driven in Europe?? Drivers are trained for months, and forced to have a "trainee" tag on for the first year. Exam includes detiled mechanics, physics and real-life situtions. Avg ***** in Europe can outdrive 99% of us here.

Here in Miami nowadays to get your license, they test you IN THE PARKING LOT!!! How can we expect safe drivers who were issued licenses because they can drive around a lot in 1st gear?? It is just asking for a disaster.

While less important, traffic rules are more strict. No stuff hanging from your truck, ALWAYS signal turn or lane change w/ blinker or ticket, and no old clunkers on the road, there is a stringent mechanical yearly test to cars older than X years....

Overall makes for a way safer traffic flow.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avg ***** in Europe can outdrive 99% of us here.

I've never been to Europe but the stat about the Autobahn is something 7 deaths/million miles (Europe) vs. 8/million (U.S.).

Not overly impressive IMO and considering most Europeans don't drive until they are in their twenties makes it even less so.

I'm willing to bet people drive like crap just about anywhere in the world.

Reaction score
This was a tragic accident. Hope the passenger recovers completely and condolences to the family and friends of the driver.

Vipers are fantastic cars with outstanding performance.

Drivers of all experience levels have accidents, just watch the professional races.

We must drive within our limits. This is where it get more difficult as most drivers think they know how to drive because they can afford a fast car and because they can press the go pedal to the floor and hold it until fear sets in, they slow down for an obstacle, they crash, or understand their limits, the cars limits and the limits of the road conditions.

Our region organizes a Skip Barber Viper specific Driving School every to help prevent accidents and at the same time improve the ownership driving experience. Having car control training and practice is a great tool to stay safe.

Lets encourage owners to learn how to drive and to practice performance driving at Viper Day's or other open track events that stress safety.

The Viper needs a diet and more muscle but No Electronic Nanny.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learning to drive on a parking lot?
You're kidding right?

When we start our driving lessons (at 18), on average we need some 35 or 40 lessons to learn to drive.
I won't say properly... because you only learn to drive when you drive a lot, and in a lot of traffic.

But receiving a license after 1 test? And then only 1 death per million miles more than in Germany.
I live close to the German border, and love to drive on their Autobahn, just because it's not so crowed as in Holland...... people can drive whatever speed they want..... and when you drive at +100 Mph (160Km/h) people are not as hurried as when they can only drive 75 max like in Holland.
But, at high speeds or less, you need to know what your car will do. If you don't you shouldn't drive it.
1 test isn't enough to teach this.

It's very sad to hear about any loss due to traffic accidents. So, please drive carefully!

Reaction score
You're kidding right? :bonker:

When we start our driving lessons (at 18), on average we need some 35 or 40 lessons to learn to drive.
I won't say properly... because you only learn to drive when you drive a lot, and in a lot of traffic.

But receiving a license after 1 test? And then only 1 death per million miles more than in Germany.
I live close to the German border, and love to drive on their Autobahn, just because it's not so crowed as in Holland...... people can drive whatever speed they want..... and when you drive at +100 Mph (160Km/h) people are not as hurried as when they can only drive 75 max like in Holland.
But, at high speeds or less, you need to know what your car will do. If you don't you shouldn't drive it.

It's very sad to hear about any loss due to traffic accidents. So, please drive carefully!

Arjen,

Not exactly, it starts in a class room. Otherwise I am not kidding! Learning car control is a basic tool/skill of performance driving. Knowing how to correct a slide is different than being able to correct a slide.

FYI Skip Barber offers several on track programs, but first the basics of car control must be mastered. Seems like they want drivers to have some car control before trying to take on a track.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people should take some sort of driving course when they buy any 400+ HP car.

Although our driving schools teached drivers in some 40 lessons how to drive.... control of the car like when in a slide wasn't originally part of the lessons.
Nowadays I think it's part of the program when you want to get a license.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track time, training and seat time are the only way to go. Electronic aids just provide a bad driver with a false sense of security.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
You're kidding right?

No kiddig about that!!! I am from Spain and I could not believe my eyes when I saw this. Spain has of course same demanding tests as the rest of the EU. So you would think that accidents rate would be 1/4 of the US?? well not.
I am not talking from research but experience, and common sense tells me that in Europe we drive too fast for the difficult roads, as opposed to the wide, big radius american roads.

Then again all of my US friends whom I take to Spain for vacation w/ me ask the same question.. How do these maniacs drive here so fast and don't crash?? At there speeds, with these streets/roads we'd have 10 times if not more accidents in the U.S......

Pick your poison... Easy roads with untrained drivers, or hard roads with trained drivers. Either one, I do not feel safe driving especially my bike.

Reaction score
Jose,

I will take a race track with experienced drivers. Have driven on the Autobahn and Autostrada where drivers are more aware and respectful of others cars. But we did see accidents and when they happen, it can be big.

Knowing nothing about the EU driver education system but sounds about as effective as that in the US. Most of US accidents involve young(16-21) drivers and or alcohol.

Accidents will continue to happen. But knowing your car control limits and the variables of car control can only help. Once drivers experience throttle oversteer as well as brake induced oversteer and learn how to recover they are less likely to add massive throttle while turning. And the will get most of the braking done before the turn. Understeer correction is counterintuitive for most drivers. The car is not turning so the natural response is to input more steering which makes the understeer worse. Practicing how to cause oversteer and understeer then recovering same is important to car control.

Braking is underestimated and misunderstood by most drivers. When applying brakes the most common mistake is to add brake gradually and when the rate of speed reduction is not achieved add more brake. It is now to late. When the cars speed needs to be reduced hit the brakes hard(but avoid wheel lock) and reduce brake as the car slows. Wheel lock is less of an issue for ABS equipped cars. For cars with ABS hit the brakes hard until safe speed has been achieved. In a SRT10 Viper also look in the rear view mirror as the car behind can not stop as fast as the Viper.

Looking where you want to go and about three to four seconds ahead of where you are is also critical to avoid accidents caused by erratic drivers in front of you, as well as being able to see road hazards in time to take evasive action.

Learning how and what causes loss of control and then to recover is the only way to master car control. I doubt any government sponsored driving school as they cost $$$. Tires are expensive as after one day of school need replaced.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Convertibles were NEVER banned in the US.

There were few to no domestic convertibles between 1977 and when the Dodge LeBarron convertible appeared in the late mid to late 80's. Imported lines continued to offer the convertible option without a break.