Finally: Back from Hibernation!

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to share that today I took my snake out for the first ride after 4 months of hibernation ('98 RT/10). I bought the car last year so this was a new to me experience. I was very excited before I turned the key, wondering if something went bad over the 4 months resulting into whatever kind of issues.

Here's what I did for winter hibernation (not much, I guess):
- removed the battery and stored it in the basement, connected a charger every once in a while
- increased tire pressure to 3 bar/43 psi
- put some styrofoam panels under the wheels
- filled the gas tank to the top

Car was sitting in a non heated Garage.

During hibernation, I removed the wheels (one after another) and detailed everything (wheel, suspension, wheel well etc.). Also, I lubricated the ball joints with Mopar Multi Mileage grease. I removed the brake pads and applied some special brake paste on the backside as I had some squeal at low braking speeds coming from the rear brakes.

So, today was the day, I removed the left rear wheel again and installed the battery. Put wheel back on. I popped the hood and checked the "E-Bay" for a last time. Everything looked normal. Then I took a seat. Cool down, boy, your time has come! Now!

I turned ignition on. After completing the routine bulb check, no CEL! Perfect. I "floored" it slowly two times, switched off ignition. Repeated it 3 more times.

All systems "Go"!!

This time I turned the key to the limit. The 8 liters V10 power plant woke up like Snow White after being kissed by the Prince. What a nice day this is! 4 months of hibernation disappeared instantly, as if it had been just 4 days. Rode it gently to the gas station to release the rubber from high pressure. A few farts here and there and pressure was back to 30 psi. Drove it around for an hour, slightly increasing average speed. Applied the brakes carefully to remove the surface rust and get the pads seated. And so far, no brake squeal!

I expected some rough idling as I read about the relearning after disconnecting the battery. But I have to say, that right from the first start it was idling as usual, no issues whatsoever.

To make a long story short: I am very happy about the complete absence of any issues with the car after sitting in the garage for 4 months. This is such a great car, in all aspects.

I wish you all will make the same experience when you get your car back to where it belongs: the road!

Have a nice weekend!

Holger

You must be registered for see images attach

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! I'm jealous we are having snow showers. A few more weeks and we'll fire them up in ohio. Have fun on the autobahn!

Last edited:

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are having snow showers here in pittsburgh pa about three more weeks it will like born to be wild hitting the highways!!!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great story Holger! These cars are strong and reliable, as you ave found. Your car is gorgeous. Keeping enjoy her!

Auf wiedersehen!

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a great write up. Glad to here all went well. I too always feel a little nervous when awakening the beast from a long winters nap.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your nice comments, much appreciated!

I did enjoy her today again in the afternoon after a little bit of rain in the morning. Certainly, I waited impaitently for the roads to dry. Here's a pic I took today. Note my latest mod: the clear side markers :cool:. Still need to put on the center caps after retorqueing the wheel nuts.

The pic in the first post was made last year (you may noticed too much green in the picture for this time of the year :smirk:).

Holger

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your nice comments, much appreciated!

I did enjoy her today again in the afternoon after a little bit of rain in the morning. Certainly, I waited impaitently for the roads to dry. Here's a pic I took today. Note my latest mod: the clear side markers :cool:. Still need to put on the center caps after retorqueing the wheel nuts.

The pic in the first post was made last year (you may noticed too much green in the picture for this time of the year :smirk:).

Holger

Silver '98 RT is probably my favorite VIper.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice car ! :2tu: Had a 2001 R/T 10 In slate grey myself ;)
Just wanted to share that today I took my snake out for the first ride after 4 months of hibernation ('98 RT/10). I bought the car last year so this was a new to me experience. I was very excited before I turned the key, wondering if something went bad over the 4 months resulting into whatever kind of issues.

Here's what I did for winter hibernation (not much, I guess):
- removed the battery and stored it in the basement, connected a charger every once in a while
- increased tire pressure to 3 bar/43 psi
- put some styrofoam panels under the wheels
- filled the gas tank to the top

Car was sitting in a non heated Garage.

During hibernation, I removed the wheels (one after another) and detailed everything (wheel, suspension, wheel well etc.). Also, I lubricated the ball joints with Mopar Multi Mileage grease. I removed the brake pads and applied some special brake paste on the backside as I had some squeal at low braking speeds coming from the rear brakes.

So, today was the day, I removed the left rear wheel again and installed the battery. Put wheel back on. I popped the hood and checked the "E-Bay" for a last time. Everything looked normal. Then I took a seat. Cool down, boy, your time has come! Now!

I turned ignition on. After completing the routine bulb check, no CEL! Perfect. I "floored" it slowly two times, switched off ignition. Repeated it 3 more times.

All systems "Go"!!

This time I turned the key to the limit. The 8 liters V10 power plant woke up like Snow White after being kissed by the Prince. What a nice day this is! 4 months of hibernation disappeared instantly, as if it had been just 4 days. Rode it gently to the gas station to release the rubber from high pressure. A few farts here and there and pressure was back to 30 psi. Drove it around for an hour, slightly increasing average speed. Applied the brakes carefully to remove the surface rust and get the pads seated. And so far, no brake squeal!

I expected some rough idling as I read about the relearning after disconnecting the battery. But I have to say, that right from the first start it was idling as usual, no issues whatsoever.

To make a long story short: I am very happy about the complete absence of any issues with the car after sitting in the garage for 4 months. This is such a great car, in all aspects.

I wish you all will make the same experience when you get your car back to where it belongs: the road!

Have a nice weekend!

Holger