Finest pedal setup

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The accelerator pedal is not the only pedal that rattles. If you have the pedal adjustment set anywhere between the extreme limits of travel, the clutch and brake will also rattle. If these pedals are all the way forward or all the way back they will not rattle. Chuck Gregg's fix of putting a rubber band over the adjusting cam of the accelerator pedal does work very well. I used a 5/8 in. wide band cut from a 26 x 2.00 mountain bike inner tube. Pull the cam down toward the floor and slip the rubber band over the cam and down to the point where the cable goes through the firewall. This rubber is a butyl compound and is a very highly damped material. It keeps the accelerator linkage from rattling and the band stretches to allow adjustment.

For the other two pedals, I cut a strip of rubber 1 5/8 x 4 1/2 in., from the same inner tube and wrapped it around the pedal arm where it contacts the cam. I cemented the rubber to itself with contact rubber cement, in a tight band that keeps the pedal arm from rattling against the cam. You will need two per pedal, one on each side of the cam follower. After cementing it in place, put a little silicon grease on the rubber to keep the cam sliding properly when adjusting. Do not use any type of petroleum grease, as this will attack the rubber. It worked for me.

It's a good idea to take out the driver's seat (4 bolts plus one seat belt anchor) to do this work, unless you are a spelunker.

Thanks Chuck for the original idea of the band on the gas pedal.

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might check out Sean Roe's site... see 'Viper Pedal Modification Kit' about 4 items down from the top. It is a shortened clutch link that includes info on adjusting the pedals and thottle linkage. I'm in the process of doing this to my Viper.

http://www.roeracingonline.com/portfolio.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The Viper pedal kit consists of a replacement clutch link that improves the clutch motion ratio, resulting in shorter pedal throw and faster clutch actuation. The clutch pedal is also lowered by approximately 1" so that it matches the height of the brake pedal. Includes illustrated instructions and installs in minutes! No special tools required. Also included are detailed instructions on how to achieve full throttle and adjust the location of the gas pedal to help make heel and toe downshifting easier. For 1996 and newer Vipers. In stock, ready to ship. Lifetime warranty. 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry Scott[CO]:

Thanks Chuck for the original idea of the band on the gas pedal.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome, Jerry. I also noticed that the other pedals rattled, when shaken by hand. But I haven't noticed any noise from the brake or clutch pedals, while driving. I am now trying to chase down the rear hatch rattle. I have disconnected the hatch struts, but the rattle is still there. My '96 never had this problem. Very annoying.

Chuck G.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala